Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to buy my first GTO (2006), and was wondering how much you guys were able to haggle down the price?
I've found it pretty difficult. I mean, I read in car buyers guides that there was generally low demand, which has resulted in dealers striking down prices, but I have found that not to be the case, at least in this area.

All the car magazines list the retail price at $32,295. All the dealers that I've been to have them pegged at about $34,000. The lowest price so far that I've been able to get a dealer's offer down to has been $32,100.

Usually I am good at talking down prices. I was confident I could reach at least $29,000, but they refuse. Is this just the wrong time of the year or what?

·
Registered
454 Posts
There is no way that you will get an 06 for 29k.....most have only been at the dealers for a couple weeks now and around here they sell fairly well
The sticker on mine was 34185 and I believe the invoice was 31200
If you can get a dealer to go near invoice I would recommend you buy you will not be disapointed

·
Registered
197 Posts
yeah they don't haggle much this year for whatever reason. i just bought an 06 goat i got the red tag price of 31xxx - 1500 gm card money + ttt 32059 out the door that i'm sure is a good deal. hope this helps good luck

·
Registered
103 Posts
Redtag if it is still available in your area should be around 31,200.
Employee pricing is 28,700. So, your best bet is an 05. I purchased mine, used with 1500miles for 26,500 +tax, for that big of a price cut, its worth having an older model. (the GTO I bought was on the lot 2mo.)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
nineball481 said:
Redtag if it is still available in your area should be around 31,200.
Employee pricing is 28,700. So, your best bet is an 05. I purchased mine, used with 1500miles for 26,500 +tax, for that big of a price cut, its worth having an older model. (the GTO I bought was on the lot 2mo.)
Ditto.

I had negotatiated $27,293 during red tag sale; though I was going to get a XFire, then came back to a GTO.

I'm picking mine up either Friday or Saturday (weather depending, its in NY). Got the dealer down to $26,500 on a black 6speed w/17" wheels. 19 miles on the odometer. I've got a shade of $2500 on my GM card (original card), so I'm out the door for $23,927. Of course I've taxes and title to buy when I get back to VA.

The dealer even agreed to meet me at a Pontiac dealer in Harrisburg, PA. That's about the midpoint between us.

Point is, the Red Tag Sale wasn't the be all and end all with pricing on these cars. From my queries, dealers up north are very motivated. In fact, I had a call Saturday from one of the dealers I was talking to that if I put a deposit down, they felt sure the owner would sell me a new '05 Midnight Blue for $26K even. Just too late at that point- - -

I may end up finding that GM or the GM Card will still do something more late January, February, but from my searches, the 6 speeds are getting more and more rare, and I really wanted either a midnight blue or black one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Door Lock Button? Ooooh! I'm running to the dealer right now to trade in my '05 just for that. J/K. Seriously though, the differences are not that grand, You will definitely get a better deal on an '05.

Or . . . At a local dealership I saw that they have an '04 with 6K miles on it and they are selling it for $21K. Looks like somebody wasn't happy with their '04.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
There is $2000 rebate on the 05's right now. If a dealer wanted to they could sell the vehicle at invoice with for a M6(w/o 18's) is $31,867.73 and for an auto its $32,544.78 + the $2k rebate.

If you are near the Jacksonville area then come and see me and I will sell you one cheap :rolleyes:

But if you are far away get me the VIN # on the car and I will fax a copy of the invoice to you and you can take it with you to the dealership.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I was at the dealer this weekend with my mother in law. she ordered a lacrosse.

On the lot was the new red. if the car did not have the rear spoiler or hood scoops i would have been all over it. it is like an update of the 64 burgandy. Now if they took the 68 verdoro green and made it with the new glass impregnated paint, and a deep deep green interior, well that would warrant an instant trade. other than the nicer red, i see no reason to get an 06 over an 05 if the difference in $$ is there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here is the deal with the Dealers.

In the case of the '05's, the dealers get the GTO's for right around $27K. The invoice that the dealers show you is NOT their cost. There are all kinds of fees and ass-on's that are in the invoice that they show you to try to convice you that they payed more then they really did. And while we are on the subject, the dealer does not "buy" cars from GM. They finance them just like we do. So they are not out $27K until the car sells like they will lead you to believe.

There is a little known perk that GM gives to its dealers call "Hold Back." This is a small ammount of money that GM gives the dealer when they sell a car. In the case of the GTO, it is 3% of the MSRP. So the '05 that I bought had an MSRP of $34,485. GM pays the dealer $1034 when they sell the car no matter what they sell it for. So if they sell it to you for their true cost, they are still going to clear a grand for the sale.

What you want to do is go in and offer them their true cost plus 5%. That would bring you to about $28,500. There are certain fees that you are going to have to pay no matter what. Things like destination, etc. So offer them $29K and be done with it. That is what I got mine for. I told them Iknow what they pay, Iknow what they get for the sale from GM, and I am not going to line their pockets with my money. For them to make $2500 on the sale of the car is plenty. Almost without exception, if you go in with the information, they will play ball.

·
Registered
17 Posts
no dealin

hey all i just got my 2005,paid $25000, for it was a lease had 900miles on it,i have tryed to get one for several months freakin no dealing with gm on them they had the red tag going on still $31,749 thats with a trade,seems with something that was not selling very well,they would come off alil..oh well the car was worth every penny it kicks assfault..and im am no virgin to the race thing i have a 10 second pro street truck and 8.20 car both street legal but the GTO just run so damn smooth, try it youll buy it ..cant wait till i get mine in the high 10s..anyways the car is the best damn thing i have ever seen out of GM anytime anyways ...about damn time im 39 and this is the first car i ever thought of buying new, always built my own ..for the need for speed...lol RC

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went for the '06 with Red Tag less $3000 from GM Card (original). I may have over analyzed, however, I justified the '06 when considering the 3 yr / 5 yr Resale Value of of the GTO as 55% / 38%; see Kiplinger's December 2005 issue. That's roughly $4K depreciation per year.

When it's all said and done, the good news is you'll be driving a GTO!!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Just for the record.

The 05 GTO is selling at 140% expectations right now. So GM is having zero issues selling the car with almost $0 advertising.

Also - I would love to know how someone can figure a dealership only pays $26K for our cars. That would mean that a dealership/GM makes over 4k on every employee deal. I have all access to every document GM gives us.

Also remember that the dealerships pay interest on every car on the lot. So that is part of a "true cost' for a dealership. not to mention individual advertising, cost of land, lights, service department, body shop, detail department, fuel, salaries, GM liscensing, Marketing programs, etc.....(you get the point)

I have customers come in and present those #'s to me all the time. I generally will make a deal.

"tell you what. I will sell the car to you at my cost + interest, then you pay my light bill this month." BTW - My light bill was $4,000 Dollars.

HAHAHA!!!!! Sorry had to put some perspective on that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.