Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, a friend of mine who owns one of the new (05) Mustang GTs stopped by to see what I was up to. He took notice of the GTO and I asked him if he'd driven one, he said no. So I tossed him the keys, he backed it up and took off with a roar of the engine and a screech of the tires. He took it to the top of the hill, turned it around, then came back down the road. He passed my house at about 110mph and I could see a HUGE smile on his face as he zipped by. A couple minutes later, he turned into the driveway with a massive SEG on his face, opened the door, got out, looked at the car and said "damn, I have GOT to get me one of these!".
To me, that's like the ultimate compliment. Someone can say "nice car" or "damn, that's fast", but whenever someone gets out and realizes how much their brand new car SUCKS...that's the best! I love this car! I would trade it for a dozen new Mustang GTs though...just so I could sell 'em and buy more performance parts for the GTO. :cool
On a side note, I came about 2 inches from wrecking the goat tonight. Some IDIOT was driving without his headlights on. I just happened to see a reflection of the car behind (WAY behind) him on the back quarter-panel of his car just as I was pulling out. I hit the brakes so hard that the gallon of milk I had in the seat flew into the floor. I'm surprised that it didn't burst. He got the full force of the GTO's bright lights in his rearview mirror, then he figured out that he didn't have his lights on. Some people are just too STUPID to have a drivers' license.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My son has the '05 GT too. While he likes my car he prefers his........go figure:confused :confused

JET

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jet, I bet if you offered to trade, he'd take you up on the offer. He probably likes his car because it's HIS and he can drive it whenever and wherever he wants, without having to ask you for keys. ;)
I drove the Mustang GT before I bought the goat last month and the decision was very easy once I drove the GTO...even though the GTO was a bit more expensive. I'm just glad I decided to drive the GTO before I went ahead and signed for the mustang!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
baron_iv said:
A couple minutes later, he turned into the driveway with a massive SEG on his face, opened the door, got out, looked at the car and said "damn, I have GOT to get me one of these!"
Too bad he is tanked in that mutstang.

My neighbor has a Mustang GT and he constantly wanted to race me when I got my GOAT (about a month after him). I finally obliged him one Sunday afternoon and we went to the "spot" and ran 5 times. Each time I got progressively farther from him. The first run I beat him by about a car length. The last run I had him by 3. I told him we can keep it up but then he will not have a car anymore.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've always been a Mustang Guy (I still have two of them), and I almost bought an 05 until I took a ride in the GTO. Torque is massive in the GTO compared to the Mustang. Mustang feels lighter and more agile, and the stock shifter has a better feel to it, but that is where the benefits of the Mustang stop IMO. Plus, at least where I live, I see 5 or 6 Mustangs everyday, but I hardly ever see a GTO.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the reason I didn't go with the mustang is because it was noticeably slower than the GTO, the interior wasn't NEARLY as nice (or roomy), and it was LOUD when you sit inside it. I couldn't even hear myself think inside the Mustang GT, even at idle. I think ford forgot to add the sound-deadening material to the mustang or something. It was obnoxiously loud. The GTO is rather loud at WOT...imagine that kind of sound ALL THE TIME...that's how the mustang is. It's just a constant drone of the engine. Occasionally, I like to have a conversation while driving.
I also didn't think the mustang has as nice of a ride as the goat. It was much more rough and unrefined. The interior of the GTO is positively beautiful. It's well-crafted and visually appealing. The knobs/buttons on the mustang felt very cheap and I bet they break easily. It just had that cheap, plastic feel to it.
The Mustang GT was pretty fun to drive. It had decent power. It would smoke the tires, it handled quite well, but it just didn't have the all-out FUN factor that the goat had. The GTO never fails to put a smile on my face, no matter how bad my day is going. It's a blast.
I'm sure the GT is a decent car, and it probably makes a lot of people happy...it's just not for me. I do like the styling though, Ford did a good job there. Styling can only overcome some of the other shortcomings though. I'm glad I made the choice I did.
Another thing...I have found that I see an average of 3 mustangs per mile (new body style) in the city. I very rarely see a GTO. I really don't WANT what everybody else has!
You're right though, he's stuck in that Mustang GT for several years, unless he hits the lottery. haha

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
QwkRed05GTO said:
I've always been a Mustang Guy (I still have two of them), and I almost bought an 05 until I took a ride in the GTO. Torque is massive in the GTO compared to the Mustang. Mustang feels lighter and more agile, and the stock shifter has a better feel to it, but that is where the benefits of the Mustang stop IMO. Plus, at least where I live, I see 5 or 6 Mustangs everyday, but I hardly ever see a GTO.
I love all cars. But I personally do not care for the newer ones. Maybe the 500 will brighten my mood with this retro.

I loved the 02-03Cobras that were around. They are impressive machines with a industructable engine block.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I drove a LT1 Camaro once, after I replaced the busted oil pan. I was real impressed with the engine's torque. When it came time to buy the LS2 GTO I knew I wouldn't even need to test drive it, and I didn't. I got in the front seat, looked around, popped the hood and looked at the engine, tested out the roominess of the back seat, then told the salesman I'd buy it. The rest is history. :eek:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
ModBoss2 said:
I drove a LT1 Camaro once, after I replaced the busted oil pan. I was real impressed with the engine's torque. When it came time to buy the LS2 GTO I knew I wouldn't even need to test drive it, and I didn't. I got in the front seat, looked around, popped the hood and looked at the engine, tested out the roominess of the back seat, then told the salesman I'd buy it. The rest is history. :eek:

From a salesmen's perspective I have this to say to you:

"GOD BLESS YOU MY SON!!!!!"

LOL!!!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
dealernut said:
From a salesmen's perspective I have this to say to you:

"GOD BLESS YOU MY SON!!!!!"

LOL!!!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

*giggle*

I usually don't buy a car unless I'm ready and I already know exactly what I want, so I sometimes don't even test it out first...this GTO, my '00 CSVT, '94 rag-top Mustang GT, Prelude Si, etc...

·
1/8 7.63 at 89.14, 60ft of 1.61
260 Posts
!

I love to hear stories like that,mustangs are an ok car if you want what everybody else has,but if you want the best get a goat.I bet that guy would like to trade his mustang in now.for all that goat power.

·
Registered
148 Posts
baron_iv said:
Well, the reason I didn't go with the mustang is because it was noticeably slower than the GTO, the interior wasn't NEARLY as nice (or roomy), and it was LOUD when you sit inside it. I couldn't even hear myself think inside the Mustang GT, even at idle. I think ford forgot to add the sound-deadening material to the mustang or something. It was obnoxiously loud. The GTO is rather loud at WOT...imagine that kind of sound ALL THE TIME...that's how the mustang is. It's just a constant drone of the engine. Occasionally, I like to have a conversation while driving.
I also didn't think the mustang has as nice of a ride as the goat. It was much more rough and unrefined. The interior of the GTO is positively beautiful. It's well-crafted and visually appealing. The knobs/buttons on the mustang felt very cheap and I bet they break easily. It just had that cheap, plastic feel to it.
The Mustang GT was pretty fun to drive. It had decent power. It would smoke the tires, it handled quite well, but it just didn't have the all-out FUN factor that the goat had. The GTO never fails to put a smile on my face, no matter how bad my day is going. It's a blast.
I'm sure the GT is a decent car, and it probably makes a lot of people happy...it's just not for me. I do like the styling though, Ford did a good job there. Styling can only overcome some of the other shortcomings though. I'm glad I made the choice I did.
Another thing...I have found that I see an average of 3 mustangs per mile (new body style) in the city. I very rarely see a GTO. I really don't WANT what everybody else has!
You're right though, he's stuck in that Mustang GT for several years, unless he hits the lottery. haha
:agree O.K...Baron, You got me thinking about that new GTO just sitting out in the garage and how much I enjoy driving it.... so now I need to go burn up some gas and drive around aimlessly soaking up those tunes that are emitted from that nicely tuned exhaust system. :cheers

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had several fun-to-drive cars...a mustang cobra, t-bird super-coupe, three Trans Ams (1976 w/the 400 bb, 1991 GTA and 1996), and a 1959 chevy truck built originally as a drag racing vehicle with a VERY well built 350 in it, among others. None of them were as all-around great as the GTO is. The truck was DAMN fast and would outrun almost anything on the road in a short race...but it was loud, had no power steering, was very uncomfortable to drive/ride in and sucked down enough gas to power a small town for a month. I guess we kinda take it for granted just how lucky we are to have a car that is wicked fast AND gets pretty decent gas mileage, AND is comfortable enough to take on a 300 mile drive with a couple of extra people. It's so much fun to drive that I have just driven right on past my driveway on numerous occasions because I didn't want to get out and return to my "normal" world. The GTO is my little piece of heaven. When I'm in there, not much else matters. I can temporarily leave the hustle and bustle of daily life behind. I have no worries, other than how to get around the next slowpoke I encounter on the road...which leads to even more fun when I blast around them at breakneck speeds.
I really can't think of much I'd change on the GTO. I mean I could always use more horsepower, but even if I had a thousand horses under the hood, I'd still not have enough. The level of comfort provided by the goat just cannot be touched by the Mustang GT. The raw speed and power can't either. The GTO is truly THE best bang for the buck available today. I suppose I might give it beefier rear tires, or maybe a bit better sound system, but those are minor gripes. I love the car just as it is. It's not so wild that it gets unwanted attention from Johnny Law, but it's just sporty enough to get people to take notice as it blows past them on the interstate. There aren't many cars out there that can make a die-hard mustang guy want to change his allegiance ya know. :cheers

·
Registered
84 Posts
baron_iv said:
I've had several fun-to-drive cars...a mustang cobra, t-bird super-coupe, three Trans Ams (1976 w/the 400 bb, 1991 GTA and 1996), and a 1959 chevy truck built originally as a drag racing vehicle with a VERY well built 350 in it, among others. None of them were as all-around great as the GTO is. The truck was DAMN fast and would outrun almost anything on the road in a short race...but it was loud, had no power steering, was very uncomfortable to drive/ride in and sucked down enough gas to power a small town for a month. I guess we kinda take it for granted just how lucky we are to have a car that is wicked fast AND gets pretty decent gas mileage, AND is comfortable enough to take on a 300 mile drive with a couple of extra people. It's so much fun to drive that I have just driven right on past my driveway on numerous occasions because I didn't want to get out and return to my "normal" world. The GTO is my little piece of heaven. When I'm in there, not much else matters. I can temporarily leave the hustle and bustle of daily life behind. I have no worries, other than how to get around the next slowpoke I encounter on the road...which leads to even more fun when I blast around them at breakneck speeds.
I really can't think of much I'd change on the GTO. I mean I could always use more horsepower, but even if I had a thousand horses under the hood, I'd still not have enough. The level of comfort provided by the goat just cannot be touched by the Mustang GT. The raw speed and power can't either. The GTO is truly THE best bang for the buck available today. I suppose I might give it beefier rear tires, or maybe a bit better sound system, but those are minor gripes. I love the car just as it is. It's not so wild that it gets unwanted attention from Johnny Law, but it's just sporty enough to get people to take notice as it blows past them on the interstate. There aren't many cars out there that can make a die-hard mustang guy want to change his allegiance ya know. :cheers
Well put! :cheers I now have a work car and search for excuses to drive this car. Every morning I leave out my garage and look at it because I still cant believe I have it!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.