Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just picked up my 05 GTO last Sat, and this Sat I am going to have the resonator removed. I have searched a ton and it seems that an Xpipe will just make my exhaust a bit quieter. I am going with 2 seperate pipes to redo the system. I want just a bit more growl without replaing the mufflers just yet.

·
Registered
937 Posts
LIVEVIL said:
Ok, so I just picked up my 05 GTO last Sat, and this Sat I am going to have the resonator removed. I have searched a ton and it seems that an Xpipe will just make my exhaust a bit quieter. I am going with 2 seperate pipes to redo the system. I want just a bit more growl without replaing the mufflers just yet.
Why would you have the resonator removed instead of the mufflers?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read that mufler removal will very much increase the sound. I only want a slight improvement for now.

·
Registered
937 Posts
LIVEVIL said:
I have read that mufler removal will very much increase the sound. I only want a slight improvement for now.
Yes, it will increase the volume for sure! I believe the resonator will change the sound, not the volume. Kind of like the difference between volume and tone on a radio. Not sure, but I hope its what you want.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, now you have me thinking. So what kind of sound am I going to get without it. I kinda just wanted it louder and a bit more noticeable. No so much a different pitch

·
Registered
937 Posts
LIVEVIL said:
Hmm, now you have me thinking. So what kind of sound am I going to get without it. I kinda just wanted it louder and a bit more noticeable. No so much a different pitch
I have no idea what it sounds like without it, but I know that what a resonator does is to create a sound effect in the exhaust system. Taking the mufflers off and having a piece of pipe put in their place increases the volume, a lot. I have now had several people pull up next to me and tell me that the car sounds really nice. Most of the comments... "That thing sounds like it has 400 horsepower" (My license plate reads "400 PNYS") It was scary at first because it is a considerable change, I thought I made a mistake. Now I love it, and so do alot of other people. You get that LS2 over 3000 RPM and it sounds like your standing on the wall at Talladega. If you want it louder and more noticeable taking off the muffs is going to get you exatly that and it sounds hellacious. I took my car to a local muffler shop and it was in and out in 45 mins, while I waited. $56 and the mechanic even painted the pipes black to match the stock pipes. The tips are perfectly in place and he fixed the factory alignment problem. When he drove it back around to the front he had the biggest $hit eating grin on his face, told me that he wasnt sure when he started but when he finished and fired it up he said "It Rocks"

·
Registered
498 Posts
Removing the mufflers from this car was the greatest thing I've done to the car so far. It sounds A M A Z I N G. :eek:

Check out my gallery for the removal picts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So are the black ones on each side on the back the mufflers?

The thread above indicates "get rid of the mufflers and say to the cops those are the mufflers ( point to the reasonators)" which was confusing to me because the thing up front looks like only one piece with 2 pipes in and 2 out and it is referred to as reasonators meaning two?

Anyway, I have the Magnaflow X-pipe cat back. It is a nicely made system, but it is too quiet. Only marginally louder than stock if any and a slighty better hummm. I wonder, with the X-pipe, what would it sound like if I got rid of the mufflers? Any ideas?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I got my mufflerectomy a month or so ago. It sounds great. It will really roar when you step on it, but if you take your foot off the pedal it'll quiet down. It's not obnoxious, just a nice sound. I don't think taking off the resonator would make it any louder, but I've heard removing the cats would... I left the resontator on for now, will probably replace it with straight pipes once the exhaust needs replaced.

·
Registered
937 Posts
michaelskier said:
So are the black ones on each side on the back the mufflers?

The thread above indicates "get rid of the mufflers and say to the cops those are the mufflers ( point to the reasonators)" which was confusing to me because the thing up front looks like only one piece with 2 pipes in and 2 out and it is referred to as reasonators meaning two?

Anyway, I have the Magnaflow X-pipe cat back. It is a nicely made system, but it is too quiet. Only marginally louder than stock if any and a slighty better hummm. I wonder, with the X-pipe, what would it sound like if I got rid of the mufflers? Any ideas?
Yes, the 2 big black cans in the back just behind the tips. The large center box twords the front is the resonator. There is only 1 and it is replaced by the X pipe in your setup. I dont know what the x pipe only would sound like.

·
Registered
937 Posts
LIVEVIL said:
Now I am really not sure what to do.
Unbolt your mufflers and fire up the car. You will get a decent idea of what it sounds like. It will be a little different because it would be under the car at that point instead of the sound exiting from the tips but it should allow you to hear the tone.

·
Registered
498 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
Unbolt your mufflers and fire up the car. You will get a decent idea of what it sounds like. It will be a little different because it would be under the car at that point instead of the sound exiting from the tips but it should allow you to hear the tone.
NOTE to Vorbeck's post: Once mufflers are unbolted....you will NOT want them back on. The ear-to-ear grin across your face is just short of permanent. :D :eek: :D

·
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ
202 Posts
Removing the resonator does hardly anything but give you alittle popping on deceleration. makes it alittle raspier, but not much.:cheers

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys have me going nuts. I'm not sure I want the car to be THAT loud. I mean it's barely a week old. I'll probably wait a few months before making it VERY loud.

·
Registered
937 Posts
LIVEVIL said:
You guys have me going nuts. I'm not sure I want the car to be THAT loud. I mean it's barely a week old. I'll probably wait a few months before making it VERY loud.
Well make up yer mind boy! :willy:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just wanted a slightly louder sound from the car at this point. I have a show truck that has open pipes all the way back and I get tired of hearing it after some time. Since I just bought the car I kinda wanted to keep this one a bit more subtle. My Audi was VERY loud with just a mufler. The interior resonance got to be a bit much from a car like that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts