Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know which headers work, ive decided not to go with the R/A exhaust manifolds because its very expensive and I think long tubes would be better in the long run for when I start to build her up. The dilemma right now is that I've been reading that with long tubes its not very straight forward... here's some info on my car its a 389 tri-power, muncie M20. It doesn't have power steering, A/C or power brakes but I will be adding them soon with a conversion kit. The original exhaust is rusted out so I removed it completely and getting a new one. So there's not much in the engine bay at all.

So which long tubes have you used or seen that worked and is there any long tubes that do not require modification to fit? Its all original as of right now and I really don't want to modify or cut up the car to install them. The engine is also out of it right now and I think it would be easier to Bolt the headers up first to the engine and then drop it in, if that's not the best way then let me know on that also.

further questions from me; Is the R/A manifold the better option when it comes to fitment? I heard they will mostly bolt up and fit great but considering I don't have any power options in my car will long tubes be easier to install or will it still have fitment issues. which ones would you go with? Also I'm not looking for any major power out of this thing in the long run, I'm going to leave it stock for a little while but next year I'm going to bump to up to hopefully around 400-450 hp and I think both of of these options would do fine at that hp range.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Good headers will be as much or more than RA manifolds. My recommendation is to either use the Doug's headers, or the RA manifolds.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The RA manifolds are far easier to install. You're in for a battle installing your headers. Patience is a virtue when you tackle the driver's side.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
No headers are "bolt on trouble free'. None. They all suck. Just some more than others is all. You run them because you want to milk every last drop of power out of your engine and are willing to put up with the 'suck' to get it.

Bear

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good headers will be as much or more than RA manifolds. My recommendation is to either use the Doug's headers, or the RA manifolds.
Yep.

RA manifolds should be totally trouble free once installed, and Dougs with Remflex header gaskets come in a very close second. A novice is going to have an easier time with the cast RA manifolds but the Dougs go on pretty smooth with additional effort and way easier than other header brands. The golden secret with headers is to set the headers in place before dropping in the engine, and then start the fourth bolt back before the others and keep the engine about 2" above its final resting place until all bolts are started.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No headers are "bolt on trouble free'. None. They all suck. Just some more than others is all. You run them because you want to milk every last drop of power out of your engine and are willing to put up with the 'suck' to get it.

Bear
lol best
Yep.

RA manifolds should be totally trouble free once installed, and Dougs with Remflex header gaskets come in a very close second. A novice is going to have an easier time with the cast RA manifolds but the Dougs go on pretty smooth with additional effort and way easier than other header brands. The golden secret with headers is to set the headers in place before dropping in the engine, and then start the fourth bolt back before the others and keep the engine about 2" above its final resting place until all bolts are started.
awesome advice thanks brother!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts