Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where the header panel and the hood meet, by the head lites, I have like a one inch gap on both sides.....any idea why this might be?:confused
I have a new header panel but the hood is original.
The hood sat for years on end in a back yard......
Also, is the top center part of the bumper supposed to be "flush" (straight up and down) with the bottom of the header panel? Or is one further forward than the other? (my hp sits a ways back from the bumper center)
I sure wish mine looked like the 1 in the pic ...
thanks as always
Tk

Attachments

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Can you post a photo of yours? Not sure where you gaps are, exactly. I will look at mine later and can post pics for comparison...mine is all original and has never been apart. The bumper, hood, and header panel are all adjustable to a degree...core support shimming and alignment is important here.

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the core support higher and lower, but nothing changed. I kinda thing the hood is bent?

Attachments

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I don't think the hood is bent. It looks high on the pass side...you said your header panel was repop....it could be that. Lemme go out and take a look at mine, and see where the ends of the header meet the fender pieces....

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Okay..took a couple of photos. It looks like your header/core support is too high in the center. You can see on mine that the hood and header panel meet at the fender extension pieces...all on the same plane. Awful hard for a hood to bend like you said...it's super stiff in the center, what with the hood bulge and all. Your core support may be tweaked a bit, can't tell.

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pics Geeter. The center part of my core support was all bent up when I put it together. There are 3 rather thick 'washers on each side of my core sup.
Looking at your pics............and that is a gorgouse car!....................Is there a slightly broadening taper to the hood line as it extends outward?
This car, long ago struck and killed a fire hydrant, slightly drivers side on the front bumper...........the drivers side headlight bezel wont fit
funny thing is that i have the old hp and still had the same gappage.
we're going for a sunday drive....................im gonna lower the core this week and see what happens.....thanks my mentor!!:seeya:
:cheers
:party::party::party:
tries to wake up Uncle E and brother Bear:D

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Thanks, Top. I still haven't washed the bugs off from my recent road trip up to Grass Valley and Nevada City a couple weeks ago. 750 mile "road trip"! No, there is no broadening of the hood line at the header...should be straight. Mine's straighter and lines up better than most (puffs out his chest to a roomful of empty seats) because none of the sheet metal has been removed from the car since it was built and it's never been wrecked up front. So, what you are seeing is factory gaps, warts and all. I suspect you have a damaged core support, as you said. If your car K.O'd a fire hydrant,it's going to take some TLC and whiskey to get it all straight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts