Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will aftermarket headers alone affect emissions from the car? I know Borla and Corsa have cat-back exhaust systems that are 50-state emissions legal, but they don't sell headers for the gto. I just want to make sure that the headers I pick won't make me fail the smog test. Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in California. Does anyone live in California that has superchared or turbocharged their GTO? Is it still emissions legal? I think people in California can't even add a new air intake!! I know the KN one is illegal.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thats rediculous! I just said that as a joke. I didnt know that was actually the case. I am in TN and they dont really care what you do.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Chris, I am pretty sure an intake isn't going to hurt your emissions in California. many exhaust systems are even california safe. Headers will most likely fail the test though, atleast long tubes will.

I thought some of Lingenfelter's cars were smog legal... but I'm guessing this excludes California. :confused

·
Registered
74 Posts
LT headers are illegal in any state that check emissions as they move the location of the cats. I believe JBA shorties are legal in CA if you leave the cats on the car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whiteshadow said:
Chris, I am pretty sure an intake isn't going to hurt your emissions in California. many exhaust systems are even california safe. Headers will most likely fail the test though, atleast long tubes will.

I thought some of Lingenfelter's cars were smog legal... but I'm guessing this excludes California. :confused

All I know for sure is that the K&N has only one type of intake kit for the GTO: http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=63-1099

And it says that it's not legal in some states. California has the most restrictive emissions laws, so if it's illegal somewhere, it's illegal in California.

Some sites say that all of their intake kits pass emissions laws for all 50 states, but they don't have one shaped for the GTO. They probably get away with modifying the 4 cylinder cars without problems, but the big ls1 or ls2 is too dirty...at least in California.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Whiteshadow and Purdone!

What is it about the long tube headers that will make it fail? Just because the cat is further back? Is it because the gas has time to cool a tiny bit before it reaches the cat? Thx.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm betting the SLP mid lenghts would pass both the sniffer and the visual, it would come down to whether they had a CARB number I guess. Someone mentioned JBA's yeah they pass for California but show about 3RWHP gains and zero track gains, although they look nice. IMHO if you are going to get headers get L/T's they have some that are posting 35RWHP numbers!

Then when it is time to smog sell the car hahahah J/K. CA sucks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
chris8299s said:
Thanks, Whiteshadow and Purdone!

What is it about the long tube headers that will make it fail? Just because the cat is further back? Is it because the gas has time to cool a tiny bit before it reaches the cat? Thx.
Well actually as far as I know, long tube headers just eliminate the catalytic converter all together. Basically, the header is nicknamed 'long tube' because it is the same length as the stock header+catalytic converter. Shorty headers are stock length that will bolt right up to the stock catalytic converter. By getting rid of the catalytic converter, you are gaining a lot of power... but if you go with the longtubes, you ALWAYS want to make sure to get o2 simulators which will tell the computer all is well! Otherwise you'll be driving around with a check engine light on!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I believe equal length and the design is important too otherwise we could get some cheap JBA shorties and make test pipes with simm's.

I think some of it is the design , the cut, and that they are equal length.

It has been my experience with the LS1 that any shorter header Ie. Edelbrock, JBA etc is a waste of money and labor.

Mid's can show gains if designed right though and can often pass smog (MAC Mid Length Headers comes to mind.)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Maxhax hit the nail right on the head...

MINIMAL gains will be seen with shorty headers, in other words they are a huge waste of time! Mid- and long tube headers are the way to go. Check out ls1tech.com and corvetteforum.com for more info, might have to do a search. But I'm sure you'll see a dyno or two comparing shorties to long tubes, and mid length headers.

·
Registered
353 Posts
LT's are definatly the way to go Mids add about 15hp and LT'a add around 30hp. Can you pass emissions with LT's in TN? :cheers

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes you can. I know a guy that designs them their, I think even high flow or no cats pass smog in TN. So in Summary:

Shorties: 3WHP Zero track gains (I ran 2 different brands)
Mid's 15RWHP about 1.5 tenths at the track (I raced with Mac's.)
Long Tubes up to 35whp depending on your car and over 3 tenths

As a rule of thumb if you're a good driver every 10rwhp is a tenth and every 100 pounds is a tenth. I am close to shaving off nearly 100 pounds (about 20 away.) I can lose that in my gut ;) then if I can add 50rwhp that is .6 combined weight and mods. If I spray I am in the 12's always so tempting....

·
Registered
353 Posts
Oh thats good so if I get the LT's and the free flow cats package with kooks i should be fine when it comes to passing emission? Yea spray is always fascinating :cool

R

·
0 Posts
chris8299s said:
what are zoomies?
zoomies are the fastest way out for the spent by product of the internal
combustion engine, air fuel combustion spark exhaust! zoomies can be in your
future,they require basic hand tools, a cutting torch( to clearance the hood)
be careful not to damage the paint, remove factory manifolds,chuck the rest of the exhaust system,install the zoomies, if the 2 holes you cut in the hood
are perfect the zoomies will stick out thru the hood,you wont ever need the
stereo again the exhaust noise will cancel out the blaupunk,dont park zoomies
in the rain, :confused :eek: :party:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Living my life vicariuosly through the GTO Forum

Speaking of hoods:

LOL,

I have been at my ex's all weekend and my car just sits in the garage, damn I miss that garage and my dog while we do all the weekend driving in her car haha! Anyway, I was looking at my hood and was wondering what the aftermarket hoods are doing for the windshield washer spouts (2) that are built into the factory hood? Do you just loose them when you get an aftermarket hood? If so I think I just gained 1200.00 for performance mods because I can live with the hood (plus I think it makes a better sleeper.)

So now I am back to either headers probably Kooks w/o cats (vrooom) or the Wieand Intake and SLP TB. I am wondering what would be a better bang for the buck for power, bringing in more air or letting more exhaust out?
Both probably but damn do I want to spend thousands of dollars on this bloated heavy car when it already has trouble keeping the tires on the ground as is? So I am thinking of maybe just keeping it like it is. It flies man and gets too squirelly on corners, wants to drift. It seems to have enough torque it is just too heavy and high. So for 5 grand you can get 400rwhp? Crap man I had 419rwhp for 4700 (ATI Procharger) in my Z and that car only weighed 3400 lbs :eek: :eek: ....

Well I get paid in 3 days who knows what I will want to do by then maybe Zoomies... :agree :cheers :party:

Go Steelers w/ the Rookie QB!!!!!

In Summary,

Intake and throttlebody with some cool MAF ends or
headers for the same amount?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts