Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, the next mod I am saving up for is a set of long tube headers. Just a couple of questions:

1. Which are the best bang for the buck?

2. With or without cats? Yes, I live in CA, but the car is registered in AZ and requires no emissions where I am from. Big power difference?

3. If I install them with the cats will the computer show any codes?

4. Will the headers themselves bolt to the stock system?

5. Has anyone seen a gas mileage improvement by adding headers? I would think they would improve mileage.

6. Which ones are the easiest to install and fit the best?

7. What is the best place to order from?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I know several people with the SLP LT's and no complaints. Even did an SLP install at the shop for a friend here on L.I. with an M6. I posted here about procedure.
http://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=6180&highlight=header+install
It was done on a lift.
The SLP's are a nice piece and they come coated too, I beleive.
Car will lean out with LT's so it may throw a code. Dont remember if my friends did or not. A tune will probably be needed. I cant see improvement on mileage though as the tune will richen mixture.

·
Registered
439 Posts
HoldenGTO said:
Ok, the next mod I am saving up for is a set of long tube headers. Just a couple of questions:

1. Which are the best bang for the buck? Pacesetters are the way to go for LS1 camaros/firebirds, best quality in the price range.

2. With or without cats? Yes, I live in CA, but the car is registered in AZ and requires no emissions where I am from. Big power difference?
Not really, cats arn't that power robbing when it gets down to it, and if you don't want to get a custom tune or O2 simms, you might as well keep them.

3. If I install them with the cats will the computer show any codes?
Shouldn't, as long as the O2 sensors are still before and after the cats like the stock configuration.

4. Will the headers themselves bolt to the stock system? It will probably require modification, because longtubes are just that, a lot longer than the stock exhaust manifolds. Nothing really difficult though. Just a sawzall and a welder.

5. Has anyone seen a gas mileage improvement by adding headers? I would think they would improve mileage. Just installing longtubes will cause your car to run rich. If you keep the cats and O2 sensors the PCU will try to compensate, and you might gain some mileage after a couple hundred miles. However a dyno tune with LT's is usually good for an extra 2 or 3 mpg on average.

6. Which ones are the easiest to install and fit the best? Really can't talk about GTO-specific headers, but Pacesetters for F-bodies were very well designed, weren't too bad for ground clearance, and could be installed without removing the engine.

7. What is the best place to order from? Thunderracing.com, Summit Racing, Speed Inc. are all good places.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I used the SLP LT's. Very easy to install (if you take your time), no cutting, welding, or other mods needed. I used the ones with the Cats and had no problems with the computer throwing any codes. Ground clearence hasn't been an isue either. Got mine fom Dealernut, but not sure if they have anymore. May have to go to SLP. As far as milage, i can't see any difference, but it sure feels alot crisper on the throtlle response. I also did the Magna Flow Cat-Back with them.

Anyway, i'm sure you'll get alot of opinions, so read them all and then make your decision...

Good Luck!:cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.