Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this 68 lemans through a dealer, so unfortunately, I can't talk to the original owner. Here is my situation. I noticed the guy had the heater core bypassed, and wondered why? Maybe the core leaks, maybe the heat don't shut off, so he just bypassed it. but then I got looking at old threads here on the forum, and someone pointed out that you need a seal at the top of cowl, where it meets the hood..... Well, it doesn't look like I have a seal there at all. So now, I'm wondering if this is why he bypassed the core, maybe he had heat coming inside the car all the time from the heat off the engine? Well, anyway, thought I would share a pic with you, and see what you guys think. I probably should order one huh ?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Second the heater core is why he by-passed it. Takes a lot of patience to change one. Be sure to purchase a good quality replacement heater core because that's not a job you want to repeat any time soon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so, as long as we are on the subject of changing out the heater core, do I need to pull the fender to do it, or no ? seems like I have heard both ways..... I would rather not, but if I have to, I have to...

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Not necessary to remove the fender, but it sure helps to remove the inner fender or at least loosen the rear portion so you have easier access to the bolts on the lower firewall. Just take your time and make sure you have all of the right bolts loose before you start tugging.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well..... I hooked it up today, and no leaks. I ran the motor for a good half hour, and it was pouring out the heat inside the car, and I did not see a leak anywhere..... Makes me think now, the guy just unhooked it so he wasn't getting any warmth off of it during the summer time.... Or, like I said, there is no cowl seal out there and he was getting heat off of the engine, and going down the cowl and into the car.... I don't know, but I'm glad I don't have to change a heater core out..... Lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
cowl seal

if you are getting heat inside the car when driving, try the cowl seal as it is missing in the photo. I had the same problem with mine and new seal...no heat inside

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you are getting heat inside the car when driving, try the cowl seal as it is missing in the photo. I had the same problem with mine and new seal...no heat inside
Yep, I am going to order one. Now that it seems the core is ok, I'm guessing that might be the reason the guy before bypassed the core, because of all the heat he was getting in the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts