Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I promise that I search threads before posting. Maybe some of you can give me pointers on how to do it better.
I am currently trying to remove the heater knobs from my 66. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
829 Posts
They are a mother F'er to get off. You need to use something like a piece of 1/4" wood to make a cover/shield over the control panel and securely hold the flat/shaft of the control (Needle Nose Pliers) while prying straight out with whatever tool you feel is best (Small Pry Bar). They have to be slowly wiggled off to prevent damage the flat control arms are barbed making this a daunting task.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
They are easy as pie to get off. Take a wooden ruler and rest it to protect the face of the panel. Then take a claw hammer, and use it to gently pull the knobs off like pulling a nail. Works every time.....leverage is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I use the 1/4 plywood (Luan) making a rectangular pc wider then the control panel and notched for the arms this way you have both hands free.
Also prefer a small pry-bar. The needle nose are to help keep a grip on the arm so as not to bend or twist them.

Can't/Wouldn't say they come easy but if the hammer works for you then pull away my friend ;)

Attachments

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
The hammer is the perfect size and shape, and merely 'rolling' it gently presses the nobs off without trauma or risk of breaking parts. And it takes virtually no strength. It's the perfect tool for the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts