Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this slug will be a good 150-200 lbs heavier than our heavy pigs! that is rediculous. it might have 100 more hp, but for 45,000 G (or more depending on markup), it doesn't seem to be a huge value compared to a gto. still has that ugly cheap mustang interior. by a used 05 gto, throw a procharger on it with some springs, shocks, bars, wider wheels and tires and bigger brakes and you will have a far cheaper and more capable ride.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree, the vehicle isnt worth the money. Its estimated to go zero to sixty in 4.5 seconds. Only .2 faster than the M6 and only .1 faster than the auto. To go faster than that, I could just get a 150 shoot of nos, and a couple of other supporting mods and end up beating it in the quarter mile. Unless you love Mustangs, or just want a 500 hp engine, I dont think its worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
exactly. and......... a really god driver could get that extra .1 out of the m6 that the auto gets. guaranteed. 10 g into the 05-06 gto would make it a monster both in a straight line and in the turns. this would kill the stang.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Any mustang with shelby's name attached to it will be a classic. I just hope GM Does the GTO justice with the 2008 model. They got the motor right on the first try now if they can trim a few pounds & give it a design worthy of the 60's model. It'll sell. The luke warm sales were mainly due to peoples preception of what a GTO should look like. You guys have to admit ford hit a homerun with the latest mustang design.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I believe that styling has something to do with poor sales in 04 but, you also have to factor in the price difference between the Mustang & the Goat. Once people break that $30K mark it tends to be a little much--A GT is only around $27K. I love my car and can't wait to race one of those 500's. I also read or watched something about the 500 only having 450 hp which is only 50 more then the 05/06 GTO's and with the 500 being heavier--who knows.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
bluebeast said:
Any mustang with shelby's name attached to it will be a classic. I just hope GM Does the GTO justice with the 2008 model. They got the motor right on the first try now if they can trim a few pounds & give it a design worthy of the 60's model. It'll sell. The luke warm sales were mainly due to peoples preception of what a GTO should look like. You guys have to admit ford hit a homerun with the latest mustang design.

2008 model? You must know something the rest of us don't.

I was told by a friend of mine that a friend of his... put his name on the list for a Shelby back in the beginning of the year. The price he was told was in 42-45 K range. It was told to me that about a month ago his dealer called him to tell him his car would be in, in about 3 weeks or so. The price is now up to 60-65 K. I asked my friend why his buddy didn't put a down payment on the car and get the final price in writing. His buddy was told the dealer didn't want to do that, and that when the car was ear marked for the dealership then they would settle up.

No wonder the dealer didn't want to put it in writing, they didn't have a final mark up price figured in. Needless to say, his buddy who has been waiting 6 months for the car, ain't getting it.

Nice way to treat customers isn't it? They are doing to the Shelby what they did to the 05' stangs. Sad thing is people will anti-up the $$ just to get one. Never thought I'd see the day when a mustang (Shelby) price tag rivals or exceeds the cost of a vet.

Gotta love Ford dealers.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I heard the GT500 was to have 475 hp. Still sad that is needs a supercharger to do it, thats fords aswer to everything (Cobra and Lightning). As for the 4.5 0-60, I spent $230 on the LPE CAI and was hitting 4.5 0-60 with my 05 A4. And I think the only reason that the new body style of the mustang was a hit is because all of the people that owned them back when the retro design was popular are buying them now because they are looking for their midlife crisis car and go with the mustang and it's cheap interior and lack of performance because it is cheap. Half of the ones on the road are only 6 bangers anyway. Not to mention that NOW for the 05 model year ford is starting to sell cars with a 300 hp when GM was doing it back in 93-94 with the LT1.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that is unreal. anything over 50 for that car is bull****. i used to be a ford guy. no more. now i'm a holden guy! funny thing is, when i raced Formula Holden (f-3000) in 2001 in australia, i hated commodores? :confused

·
Registered
455 Posts
If the Shelby were the original projected $38-40k, it wouldn't be too bad. But the markup is ridiculous. I've heard similar stories to the one posted above. One guy I talked with had a coworker who preordered a Shelby--even putting down a deposit--and when the guy's Shelby came in, the dealership sold it out from under him to a person who was willing to pay more (the person ordering the Shelby was supposed to get it for MSRP.)

As was mentioned above, I think the greatest strength of the Shelby will be its value years down the road. Other than that, if you are just looking for a performance car, either a supercharged/turbo GTO or a stock Z06 (since Shelbys are being marked up into Z06 range) would probably do ya better.

One thing I haven't heard about, but I suspect that the Shelbys will take a hit on insurance. From what I've seen in the past, limited production special versions of cars take a good sized hit over the regular version.

Speaking of Mustang Markup, I remember seeing a new 05 6 cylinder Stang (non-convertible) that a dealership was asking $34k for. More than a GTO for a nonconvertible 6-banger. :willy:

·
Registered
8 Posts
well first off the GT 500 is insanely heavy but the regular 05-up GT's are rather heavy compared to the older fox chassis mustangs but ford still should have found more places to cut weight down oh well next from what i've heard the dealers will probly do a lot of price gouging on this thing untill sales decrease then the prices will fall back to the original projections. As far as having to have a blower to make that kind of power i dont mind because im sure they will be as responsive to small mods (pulley, tune etc.) as the 03-04 cobras were, which will make for one potent street car. I guess im a little baised though cause i myself own a Fox body mustang and am a ford man to the bone, But i still like to cruise around in my dads 66 GTO (ordered it brand new in 66) and lay waste to the classic mustangs and other classic muscle-pony cars. If you feel the need to flame me for defending this car go ahead i dont care cause honestly after 67 i really dont care much for the GTOs especially the new ones (sorry guys) but i still respect them cause they are fast cars and all fast cars deserve respect regadless of what brand they are or what motor they have in them (except imports cause those are just slow no matter what you do to them)

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I checked in on the Shelby GT 500 in about January. I got a large year end bonus and was thinking of buying one for keepsake potential. You know the Shelby name. Well they are making 8,000 to 10,000 per year for three years. Ford will not say they will not keep making them after the 3 year period, which if they do will destroy the collector potential. Remeber the Shelby Dodge Charger turbo and the Shelby Dakota, both has beens because of overproduction or not good value.

My thoughts are the car is too heavy to be a serious performance car. It's getting 15-25k in dealer mark-up which makes it overpriced. They are going to produce way too many to make it collectible. There has to be a bunch of places Ford could trim some weight. An aluminum block comes to mind, remove the back seats, weren't the first Shelby Mustangs 2 seaters. Do like GM did with the Z06 remove amenities and sound insulation. A carbon fiber hood or composite doors and fenders, just anything to get weight off the front end.

Ford had a potential home run here, like the Z06. Too bad they settled for a double.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I heard from a coworker that he asked a ford employee? at the los angeles auto show why they didn't use an aluminum block and they told him they kept breaking the block so they switched out to the current engine setup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
they didnt use the aluminum block because it utilizes a dry sump oiling system which ford didnt want to take the time to adapt to the new mustang. :rolleyes: As far as the strength of the aluminum block goes its the same piece as whats in the the Ford GT and i have never heard of them having brakage issues with this block.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
The aluminum block and dry sump would have added about 3000 to the price of the car. Fords initial target price was under 40k. They missed the under 40k and the GT500 still doesn't have an IRS or an aluminum block.

With engineering failures like that, and the last Focus SVT if I was Ford I'd get rid of SVT...... wait they did that. Never mind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.