Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my oil for the first time today. Was shocked at how much the skid plate weighs. I was thinking about leaving it off to loose a little weight from the portly goat. Anybody else done this with no negative results (i.e. scraping the oil pan, or worse puncturing it?) :eek:

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
JuniorCruzer said:
I have over 4,000 miles on the goat and the skid plate did not have one scratch on it. So last time I changed the oil, off it came.

Jon
Cringe.

I hope you don't have an unfortunate encounter with a semi-truck tire tread fragment or other debris...loss of oil pan integrity would ruin your entire day.

·
Registered
76 Posts
yall be careful taking these off and using less heavy duty replacements. They added a roll-curb island to main street in town here, and i'm embarrased enough to admit I jumped the island. The skid plate saved my car. It's scratched to hell, but beats the sh&t out of what could have happened.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I put a Slp one on mine. Never have to take it off to change the oil. It weighs next to nothing.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Vader953 said:
yall be careful taking these off and using less heavy duty replacements. They added a roll-curb island to main street in town here, and i'm embarrased enough to admit I jumped the island. The skid plate saved my car. It's scratched to hell, but beats the sh&t out of what could have happened.
Good point, even though these are lightweight I have had many customers hit dips at an ungodly rate of speed and get frantic phone calls just to have the car looked at with no damage! :cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just installed the one from SLP this weekend. I looked at both the SLP and BMR and decided on the SLP because I won't have to remove it for the oil changes. I was surprised though on how poorly it fit. Two bolts fit no problem. Three would fit with some leverage. I evened up ovaling out all four holes and even had to move the front DS about and 1/8 of an inch to the left to get it in. The modification was easy since it is just aluminum, but for $150 you'd think it would fit correctly. With all that said, I'm happy with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.