Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I've ditched the CAI reverted to stock and reset the computer one week (~900 miles) ago, I'm still getting a lot of heavy soot accumulating on the bumper and rear surfaces of my car...inside the exhaust pipes is caked with the crap.

This thing is either still running very rich, or it is somehow not burning all the fuel thrown at it (which is another way of saying it's running rich).

I called the dealer, who of course said off the bat that "If it were running rich, you'd have a check engine light."

"Trust me. It's burning fuel in the pipes. Why it hasn't thrown a code, I dunno."

So, I've an appointment on Tuesday so that they can throw the thing up on the racks to determine WTF.

This car is really beginning to frustrate the crap outta me.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's pissing me off, be sure.

I'm just voicing frustration here. Yes, I push my equipment hard but, damnit, I take good care of it as well.

...And God help the service guy who tells me this expelling of particulates is "normal." If he does, I'll tell him, "Fine. Smog the car. Now."

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hey Grouchy,

My new 05 really cakes up the chrome tips. Every time I wash the car I take my wheel brush and wheel cleaner to the tips and scrub like heck to get it off them, but I have never seen any of it on the body. If its heavy enough to get on your bumper cant you see it smoking black? Its really gotta be comin outta there like crazy.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JMVorbeck said:
Hey Grouchy,

My new 05 really cakes up the chrome tips. Every time I wash the car I take my wheel brush and wheel cleaner to the tips and scrub like heck to get it off them, but I have never seen any of it on the body. If its heavy enough to get on your bumper cant you see it smoking black? Its really gotta be comin outta there like crazy.
I can't see the smoke. I should have someone follow me....

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Groucho said:
I can't see the smoke. I should have someone follow me....
Yeah right. Like someone is going to be able to keep up with you, let alone look for smoke. Maybe it's something YOU'RE smoking. LOL

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just retrieved the car from the dealership. There's nothing wrong with the car...it's "normal."

Whatever.

So...I'm going to stop bitching and continue to enjoy it, dealing with each tank of gas with a smile.

No charge from the dealer, BTW...which I thought was very cool.

On the way back, my buddy (w/ the '05) and I shut off the traction controls and had us a li'l Goat v. Goat duel down a stretch of San Fernando Blvd. Was a hoot. The looks on people's faces upon hearing the roar of GM V8s was classic. :lol:

The cars are very evenly matched on short runs. :cheers

Wheeee!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Groucho said:
Just retrieved the car from the dealership. There's nothing wrong with the car...it's "normal."

Whatever.

So...I'm going to stop bitching and continue to enjoy it, dealing with each tank of gas with a smile.

No charge from the dealer, BTW...which I thought was very cool.

On the way back, my buddy (w/ the '05) and I shut off the traction controls and had us a li'l Goat v. Goat duel down a stretch of San Fernando Blvd. Was a hoot. The looks on people's faces upon hearing the roar of GM V8s was classic. :lol:

The cars are very evenly matched on short runs. :cheers

Wheeee!
hey groucho, did they smog it while it was there ?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cdb said:
hey groucho, did they smog it while it was there ?
The emissions guy they normally use was booked, and I had to take the car so I could get home tonight.

I'm taking it to an independent smog shop, pay them $40, and let them run it through.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Tom said:
Get the car tested and report back.

As an 04 owner I will sleep better at night knowing your car is just blowing soot which should confirm that you didnt blow a seal.

Hey Tom,
It's California you know!!!! We should leave Groucho's personal life out of this discussion. They do things out there that you just wouldn't believe.

Really though, any test yet? What did they find?Any plans for a dyno tune?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
fergyflyer said:
Hey Tom,
It's California you know!!!! We should leave Groucho's personal life out of this discussion. They do things out there that you just wouldn't believe.

Really though, any test yet? What did they find?Any plans for a dyno tune?
You're right...

From what I understand, all the smog machines here in The Worker's Paradise are networked...if there is a problem, my car would be labeled as a "gross polluter" and would cause all kinds of feces that you don't wanna know about. So...until I find out more, I'm hesitant.

I may or may not tune. I've spoken to several local tuners and they all state that there's not much they can do for me.

Like I keep re-iterating....it's a very hard-working daily driver. With my long distance / high speed commute, I ask more of this car than 99.5% of all GTO drivers. I paid for the 100k mile warranty...or about two years of commuting. I see very little reason to give GM any reason to [email protected] with me should I develop a serious problem.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I'd say, all in all, a smart move. You have 5 more years till you have to smog it, why mess up a good thing. At that point it probably won't be on the road, and you definately won't have it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts