Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have any historical information and/or photos of Hedges Pontiac in Indianapolis. All I know is where they were located (corner of Washington Street and LaSalle) and, that they sponsored Pontiac NASCARs for Cotton Owens and Ralph Earnhart back in the early 60's. Tom Wood bought the dealership back in 1967 and that's as much info as I've been able to find. I'm 2nd Owner of '66 Tempest Custom convertible and, the original Owner just contacted me last week saying he found the original sales receipts for the car. It was sold in November of 1966 shortly before Tom Wood bought the dealership. I'm hoping to find some photos of Hedges and more history behind the dealership. Building is long gone now. Walgreens on that corner now. Thanks! -TempestTamer

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
I haven't been able to find any pictures of Mission Pontiac In Berdoo either just a couple of blurbs about it.

Took me over a year to find this, still looking for a second one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
John w hedges was my great grandfather. Are you just wanting picture of dealership? Saw this doing a google search. You can contact me through email if you haven't found what you were looking for already. [email protected]

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
You probably have 2 other sources many people don't think of. The local library from that town/city would have the local newspaper on microfilm. If you are willing to do a little searching through the microfilm, you may find some articles or advertisements for the dealership. If you don't live in that area, you can go to your local library and request an inter-library loan of the microfilm and they may be able to get it for you - especially the time frames near when the car was sold and what headlines were in the papers.

Next would be to see if the town/city might have an historical society. These can be very helpful in sourcing local history/info. Again, the library usually can steer you to one or get you in touch with someone local who may be able to help.

If you keep following the leads, it can sometimes get very interesting and you can find what you are searching for and then some! :thumbsup:

In my researching project, I have done this many times and have turned up one-of-a-kind photos, saved documents, and even old B&W films that people have kept in the family and either did not know what they had (because it belonged to a deceased member of the family and they were never told what the items were) or they were more than willing to share the material knowing it was being used for historical research.

·
Registered
2 Posts
John w hedges was my great grandfather. Are you just wanting picture of dealership? Saw this doing a google search. You can contact me through email if you haven't found what you were looking for already. [email protected]
Discovered your post about your great grandfather owning Hedges Pontiac. My Uncle Don Williams was General Manager of Hedges in Anderson and later in Indianapolis, for Hedges. My Uncle worked there and later worked for Tom Wood. until he retired in the 80s.. I have several old Pontiacs and always enjoyed going tho the dealership as a child. Everytime I drive my Pontiacs I think of the dealership and my Uncle Don. I am always searching for Hedges items on ebay.
danny williams

1 - 7 of 7 Posts