Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into a new 2005 GTO, but I've got a problem. As it is, my Alero scrapes its front air dam getting into my driveway, and at a few other spots in town. Now I don't know the exact height, but I'm sure that the GTO is closer to the ground. What I'd like is an adjustable ride height suspension. I thought about it when I saw the new Car and Driver with the article about the adjustable post-factory unit for the BMW 3 series. Does anyone know about who might make one, or how much it might be? I'd love to be able to flip a switch and buy myself a few extra inches of clearence.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The only way I know of this being done is with air bags, it is fairly common on Mercedies having 3 different hight settings. I can tell you that it would not be a cheep thing to do. Given the right set up it should be possible to have that with the stock suspension

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
LaPuzza said:
I'm looking into a new 2005 GTO, but I've got a problem. As it is, my Alero scrapes its front air dam getting into my driveway, and at a few other spots in town. Now I don't know the exact height, but I'm sure that the GTO is closer to the ground. What I'd like is an adjustable ride height suspension. I thought about it when I saw the new Car and Driver with the article about the adjustable post-factory unit for the BMW 3 series. Does anyone know about who might make one, or how much it might be? I'd love to be able to flip a switch and buy myself a few extra inches of clearence.
Your Alero is a GM North American bottom breather. Most of the cars designed in North America by GM get most of their cooling air from below the front bumper. GM uses a black plastic air dam that is cheap to replace and flexible to push air from below the bumper up into the radiator. That is probably what you hear scraping on your driveway. The approach angle for the GTO should be better than your Alero. The GTO does not have this air dam below the bumper. If I were you, I would make the purchase of the new car contingent on it going into your driveway without scraping. Take it home as part of the test drive.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Always had to be cautions with my Camaro Z28. It has been a non-issue with the GTO. Be fore warned - once you test drive one and feel the "power of the force" there is no turning back!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
fergyflyer said:
If I were you, I would make the purchase of the new car contingent on it going into your driveway without scraping. Take it home as part of the test drive.
Bingo. The clearance on the GTO is excellent. I only scuffed the underside of the bumper once -- on a parking lot curb designed by lunatics. Check the GTO out, test it, and if you get one, have a 3M dealer apply of those clear plastic laminates that are primarily used to prevent bug and stone damage. At least you can bang that up and know your bumper's OK. Good luck! The GTO is truly an amazing car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had trouble with my 02 Camaro scrapping going into and out of my driveway and it was not much of a incline/rise. The goat doesn't scrap at all (though the second day I had it I backed into a parking spot and scrapped (somewhere underneath) and I cringed thinking I had taken out or crush a tail pipe but :) all was okay.

Like said above, it' almost always been that black plastic air dam thing that scraps (and sounds awful). I was so happy to not see one on the goat. Even after 3 years I still gringed with the camaro when it scrapped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts