Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you can call it a mod.

Just bought a 2005 GTO this week and I'm already confused about and ready to rid myself of the "skip-shift"

Do you *have* to skip-shift or is it just a fuel-saver trick? My owner's manual almost acts like damage will occur if (manditory gear change) not used when instructed, or maybe I read it wrong.

What's the best skip-shift delete device out there?

Thanks.

b.t.w. Glad to be back to a real car with a V8 and rear drive. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
You can't beat the skip-shift, it forces you to go from 1st to 4th below a certain RPM/speed range. The details are in the manual. Personally I start in 2nd most of the time so it's not a big deal. Some people act like the car is undriveable because of it. There are skip shift eliminators available for $20-$25 but they're all basically just a resistor of some kind. There are threads on here that talk about it.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
the cheapest (and IMHO the best:)) "skip shift eliminator" is your right foot. i just take it over 20 in 1st everytime before i shift. i've only had it come "on" maybe twice in a year and a half. not an issue at all.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new car! :cheers

The 1st-4th skip feature is a fuel savings device that helps GM with their corporate fuel economy ratings. My Z06 has the same feature. My first mod was to install a $20 skip shift kit that bypasses the solenoid in the tranny with a resistor so the PCM can't tell the solenoid is bypassed thus it won't give you a fault. The skip shift light still comes on, but the signal doesn't make it to the solenoid.

As mentioned, you can also drive through the skip shift. I don't know what the specifics are for the GTO, but for the Z06 the skip shift is enabled if
- Coolant temp is over 169F
- Speed is 15-19 mph
- Throttle position is under 21%

If you attempt to shift to 2nd outside of the these parameters, such as at 20 mph, or with the throttle at 22% or higher, it will go right to 2nd vice 4th. :cheers

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Subdriver said:
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new car! :cheers

The 1st-4th skip feature is a fuel savings device that helps GM with their corporate fuel economy ratings. My Z06 has the same feature. My first mod was to install a $20 skip shift kit that bypasses the solenoid in the tranny with a resistor so the PCM can't tell the solenoid is bypassed thus it won't give you a fault. The skip shift light still comes on, but the signal doesn't make it to the solenoid.

As mentioned, you can also drive through the skip shift. I don't know what the specifics are for the GTO, but for the Z06 the skip shift is enabled if
- Coolant temp is over 169F
- Speed is 15-19 mph
- Throttle position is under 21%

If you attempt to shift to 2nd outside of the these parameters, such as at 20 mph, or with the throttle at 22% or higher, it will go right to 2nd vice 4th. :cheers

Thanks.

This seems like a really good forum...and I really like the new car, a lot.

On the way home from the dealership, that first night, I kept seeing a little green light come on but I didn't know what it was until I looked in the manual. My only concern was that it might do some sort of damage if you don't shift the way the car wants you to. The light isn't in the easiest viewing location and I feel kind of paranoid constantly watching for the light instead of keeping my eyes on the road.

The skip shift kit seems like an easy solution for me. I saw one listed at pfyc.com

Is there a brand I should be looking for, or a site that's the best source for the GTOs?

I've been away from V8 RWD cars for a long time, so this may take me a while to readjust and stop thinking FWD 4 and 6 cylinder

G

·
A skip shift eliminator is nothing more than a resistor wrapped in a weatherproof pack that allows the computer to understand something is there and is working properly. When installed, the transmission is never given a code to block the "gate" that your shifter rides in so you can shift into any gear, at any time, under any condition.

There is no brand, model, or specific one to buy. Just get one, throw it in there (its accessible underneath the car on the passenger side of the transmission) and enjoy your newfound freedom of shifting!

·
Registered
364 Posts
ModBoss2 said:
My only concern was that it might do some sort of damage if you don't shift the way the car wants you to.
I believe the only risk is if when the solenoid actuates and you try to force it into another gear, e.g. back into 1st and mash the synchros that you risk possible damage. If you defeat the solenoid, then the gearbox behaves like any other normal six speed on the market.

FYI, I have bought stuff from pfyc.com before (mostly for the track) with good results. :cheers

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The CAGS (Computer Aided Gear Shift) is a tool of Satan.

Yes, you can drive through it, but the thought of it being there and occasionally kicking in when circumstances told it to was enough to piss me off. Disabling it was one of my first mods as well.

You can buy a prepackaged, plug-and-forget eliminator for like ~$15 from PFYC.

It's worth it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought mine from PFYC and it is well made and easy to install. I did have to look around the tranny for the correct connection, but even that was no big deal. There are those that will tell you how easy it is to make one yourself, the advantage of the pfyc one is that you know it works and it snaps into place and is weatherproof. Do this mod and you will forget it ever existed. I did.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When I first encountered the Skip Shift I wasn't suprissed. I did all the time in my stang in order to ride out at sub 3k RPMs to save fuel. It was a welcome feature for me seeing that it was my first 6 speed car and I wasn't too confident in my abilities to handle it under pressure.

G

·
The CAGS skip shift eliminator is a resistor of 24.7 ohms.... about 25.0 ohms

I know this because I have and installed one in my LS2...
U need to climb under the car by the tranny .. on the drivers side there is a blue plug ... "looks the same as the plug "CAGs" gives you... its basicly plug and play...

PS I really recommend buying it ..Its only 25$ and guaranteed, and since it is a water and temp proof housing its rock solid as long as u tie strap it good .. " dont be a idiot and try to make one yerself " .. "NIG-RIG" .. unless you a tech geek and know what the hell you are doing....

performance wise .. its awsome .. I can slam every gear from here to the holidays with no problems... just ignore the 1-4 light after =)...

.. :willy: :party:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.