Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd say hi, post a few pics, and ask some advice.

First, the advice.

I have a 2 month old 05, I took it back to Pontiac for a tapping sound from the engine at any RPM. Turned out the car was 4 quarts low somehow. No drips from the engine anywhere, no runs, and no smoke from the exhaust. So they filled up the 4 quarts, and told me to come back in a week. I did, 2 quarts low. They refilled, and told me to come back the next week, I did, 2 quarts low and they took it in and gave me a rental.

I just found out they tore down the whole engine, and found NOTHING wrong, engine looked perfect. The local Pontiac/GM head dude, Dan Gippert, told them to replace the PCV system and the rings because he thinks the oil is being pulled in thru the PCV system and burnt off in the cylinders. Then to come back a week after I get the car back and if it's low on oil again, they'll replace the engine.

Now, the car is a lease, so the advice I seek is this. Could it be the PCV system doing this? And, can I ask for some type of compensation for my extreme inconvenience?

Thanks for reading... here are some pics... :)

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I'm thinking the dealer is going the right direction with rings and pvc system. I'm suprised that they didn't do the pvc system 1st and tell you to come back after doing just that. That would be the cheap way to do it.

Question: How many miles per week do you drive?

Pics: The car looks great. Where did you get the stripes, I'm looking for the exact same thing???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Per week depends, but in 2 months with the car I put on about 3200 miles, so it's been a little higher than average, but come on, 2 months with a new GTO, the FUN factor was crazy high, it's slowly coming down now, but at a crawl.. :p

www.autotrimdesign.com

They're ok, the kit is good quality, and certainly less expensive than paint.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
GTOOOOOH said:
Per week depends, but in 2 months with the car I put on about 3200 miles, so it's been a little higher than average, but come on, 2 months with a new GTO, the FUN factor was crazy high, it's slowly coming down now, but at a crawl.. :p

www.autotrimdesign.com

They're ok, the kit is good quality, and certainly less expensive than paint.
1 month 5 days = 2500 miles for me so we are about the same.
I was just asking to see what the rate of consumption was. I see why they are doing the engine, definately more than what I'd guess a bad pvc system would suck up without blow-by. 1 qt per 400 miles, sounds like the LS1/6 from early 2001.
I went 2400 miles before changing the oil and it didn't move off of full. Anyone else notice any oil consumption?
Anyone else taking theirs to the Corvette store for oil changes? My Pontiac dealer didn't have Synthetic in stock and wanted $79. Chevy dealer was 61 including tax and the 5th change is free. Net is 48.8 including tax.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What dealer in Long Island is servicing your car?
Had a similar problem...small leak not hitting the ground but burning off on the exhaust. Finally they replaced engine and when I first checked the oil it was down a quart. Don’t know if they just didn’t top it off. Time will tell.
. :mad:

·
Registered
674 Posts
i got my gto at arnold and when i was getting jerked around by the dealer i bought the aurora from Bill from sales told me to bring it in.

instead of bringing it in to service, i will probably just bring it in to the used car lot and lease something else. i was very pleased with the sales department, and it sounds like the service dept is taking steps to do the right thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.