Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello My name is Ed I have 38 years as a Journeyman Lineman I just purchased my second 65 GTO 39 years later from the first, Funny the first one cost me 500.00 had two flat tires in the back. 455 under the hood 4 speed. They guy smoked the heck out of the flats I was hooked couldn’t get the 500 bucks out my pocket fast enough.
Today’s GTO cost me 16,000 455 under the hood automatic. A 74-year-old fella fell on some hard times cancer is taking a toll on him, He needed to sell realizing he will never be able to finish what he started. Rust free car down to primmer he purchased every piece you could think of to bring it back to its glory days. I just tore the 455 out of it needed some serious help one cylinder scored off to the machine shop it went for the help it needs.
Should bring me the fun the first did 39years ago. One thing I have going for me a way better budget 17-year-old kid doing machine work making $2.10 an hour. Was tough to do what I wanted on the first.
Oh, one other important fact married to a great woman for 31 years have two grown children young women both RN’s.

Glad to be a part of the group

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Ed!🤙
Man you’ve got yourself a special second round with the mighty ‘65 many never get the second round u are a lucky one
and there’s a lot of guys here to help u
get er going, do post pics when u can , Ed!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the Forum Ed!🤙
Man you’ve got yourself a special second round with the mighty ‘65 many never get the second round u are a lucky one
and there’s a lot of guys here to help u
get er going, do post pics when u can , Ed!
Jetzster I sure do never thought of it that way a second chance. You are correct the thrill of this is amazing I can't put words to it. I have it all stripped down to a half of seta in driver side. It has wok that needs to be done before it brings me back the glory days ;-)

When I get the motor back from machine shop and in. I will shoot some pictures of it. I am trying to figure out paint for the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
I am trying to figure out paint for the engine bay.
Depends on what you want to achieve. Factory stock? Presentable? or Custom?
Generally the engine compartment is Semi-gloss Black. If you're restoring back to factory there are different gloss levels of the black.
Lots of choices.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depends on what you want to achieve. Factory stock? Presentable? or Custom?
Generally the engine compartment is Semi-gloss Black. If you're restoring back to factory there are different gloss levels of the black.
Lots of choices.
Na just a fun street rod .That I could cruise to some shows in and blow the tires off when the mood comes upon me ;-) So semi gloss black is the way I need to go.Thank You.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Eastwood always has good stuff..
like O52 sez actually there’s 3 or more levels of semi glossIn the GM classic semi gloss black paints , one for most under hood areas, One for chassis , one for inner fenders or pulleys , etc , just depends how ‘perfect’ you want a restorationto to be
This one below generally always works well , looks OEM when you put it on ,
get it from them directly at the Eastwood site
Is the best way, also the Ames Perf ‘65 GTO parts catalog will soon become your #1 best friend if it’s not already , get a hard copy of it coming now from Ames
C3234DD8-E8F2-43A2-BE1F-AE0A47705EF0.png

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eastwood always has good stuff..
like O52 sez actually there’s 3 or more levels of semi glossIn the GM classic semi gloss black paints , one for most under hood areas, One for chassis , one for inner fenders or pulleys , etc , just depends how ‘perfect’ you want a restorationto to be
This one below generally always works well , looks OEM when you put it on ,
get it from them directly at the Eastwood site
Is the best way, also the Ames Perf ‘65 GTO parts catalog will soon become your #1 best friend if it’s not already View attachment 139719
Welcome Ed! 65;sounds really great,......so many things you can do to them to make them reliable and fun!

Jetzster Thank you for pointing me I the right direction I will order that pronto,What color black for inner fenders or pulleys? The frame is already painted black the guy I bought it from had the body off and did all new bushings and painted the frame so I will leave that alone .
With so many blues an discussions about it Does Eastwood have the correct color blue for the motor?

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Inner fenders and radiator (core) support are semi-gloss (50-60%) black. Firewall and Cowl are Satin (20-30%) Black. Heater core cover 60%.
All engine accessory brackets, pulleys and fan blade hub and radiator are gloss black with the exception of the aluminum brackets which are natural. Stainless Fan blades are polished. Throttle cable bracket and Harmonic Balancer are engine color.
Numerous sources for the engine paint, Pontiac Blue Metallic. Ames will have it.
GTO Restoration Guide will also have the paint details.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Inner fenders and radiator (core) support are semi-gloss (50-60%) black. Firewall and Cowl are Satin (20-30%) Black. Heater core cover 60%.
All engine accessory brackets, pulleys and fan blade hub and radiator are gloss black with the exception of the aluminum brackets which are natural. Stainless Fan blades are polished. Throttle cable bracket and Harmonic Balancer are engine color.
Numerous sources for the engine paint, Pontiac Blue Metallic. Ames will have it.
GTO Restoration Guide will also have the paint details.
052 Thank you.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Not sure which of these engine Pontiac Blues your ‘65 is currently, usually the duplicolor 1610 on amaz does it on a ‘65x someone with a ‘65 may chirp in , you will have to determine what u got , (except plastiKote is discontinued)
The new plasticote substitute ‘restoration’one is avail at Butler engineering
40D40D24-240D-4D48-8B89-4904AAF2ACAA.jpeg
are

1 - 13 of 13 Posts