Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I'm new to this place! Been involved with classics all my (young) life but I just bought MY first classic Pontiac about a month ago. The only other Pontiac I remember my family having was a Ventura my mother drove, which I fell out of turning a corner when I was about 7. It was replaced with a 66 Fairlane 500 coupe, which I adored, but that's not the point of this post.
I'm a Navy Air Traffic Controller on the USS Nimitz and I don't drive very far, mostly to the gym.
Long story short, I wanted a classic I could wrench on and enjoy, I searched high and low all over SoCal and AZ for MONTHS, and I had all but given up. On a whim, I ditched looking at a 70 Nova for a local Pontiac I stumbled upon on craigslist, the first day it was posted. No car I looked at made my heart flutter or gave me that funny feeling in my tummy until I saw this...
It's a 67 Tempest. Almost 72k on the car, 20k on the rebuild. Sat in a barn in Texas for some years until the grandson started working on her, joined the USMC, moved to San Diego, sold her to the guy I bought her from. Used to be a 3spd auto, now has a 700R4. Original Pontiac 400, new radiator and hoses, front disc brakes, edelbrock 750. Big pipes...we set alarms off. NO Bondo...i stuck a magnet everywhere. The paint is...well...obnoxious, but its keeping her from decaying.Prior to springtime she'll be Gulf Turquoise again and get some new wheels. Interior really isn't bad at all. Photos show the good, the bad, the ugly. Tomorrow the new windshield gets installed, next weekend I'm doing the front springs because they're tired. She roasts the tires whenever I want but I drove her from San Diego to Ventura (3.5 hours) and she only drank half a tank. Nice.
I have no intentions of turning her into a GTO clone. That's what she was headed for before I came along. Don't want to make her a drag beast. I'd just like a sexy cruiser with sleeper tendencies :cool
Mostly all the car needs are little cosmetic things, but they do add up. What do you all think of this girl's $4500 investment? Where would you start?
And, oh yeah....where the hell can I get the fender emblems?! Somebody stole the old ones...
Thanks in advance for any help...

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks!!! I feel the same way, but of course I'm biased. You're not doin too bad for yourself either..Maybe one day we'll get there when I'm out of the Navy and I make real ATC money? But in all seriousness, nice photos.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Very nice! I like the OD transmission, that's on the list for my '68 in the not-too-distant future. Seems like a good price, as well, hard to find nice muscle in that price range anymore. Everyone seems to think their stuff is priceless!
Welcome to the Forum!
Jeff

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Thanks!!! I feel the same way, but of course I'm biased. You're not doin too bad for yourself either..Maybe one day we'll get there when I'm out of the Navy and I make real ATC money? But in all seriousness, nice photos.
Thankss. Projects take time, patience, and lots of money!! Have fun with your car..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody for the support. I saw a few decent rides in that price range but all 4 doors...so i held out. Not planning to make it a show car, just wanna drive and enjoy and i have a good time working on stuff. The navy provides us with hobby shops and even the tools so thats pretty cool and even though im the "car guy" my hubby is really getting into the whole thing now that hes experienced a little torque!
Im gonna check out that website, thanks again!!!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
well if you want a sleeper you found the right car, lightest of all the Tempest (lemans, GTO) family so if you put a little punch in the engine compartment it will get you there quicker plan on keeping my 326 tags and paint after them +136, tags can be found at Aimes, or you can find originals on E-bay or craigs list. Glad to hear you are not cloning it i had the same dilema, and truth be told a lot of these cars have been sacrificial lambs for GTO builds so the more we keep on the road the better, you will find a lot of support on here. The Qtr panel lettering was slightly different between 66' and 67' little nicer scroll on the 66 but i am a little bias...lol. Looks like you have a great looking foundation and a driver to boot, always funner when you can drive it while fixing it up, keep us posted on progress and have fun

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks everybody! I figured I could find the answer to pretty much any question here.
Eric: The Nimitz isn't very fast but she has a lot of low-end torque, and your car is much lighter. If you can afford the nuclear crew (and deal with working with them :eek:) I say...DO IT!
Rukee, thanks, I think she's sexy too in the most hetero of ways...the boat, I dunno. 8 Months in the gulf, she seemed to get smaller and yuckier everyday...but it is a fascinating little city.
Instig8ter thanks for the factoid and the info, ill look into that!
You guys are awesome already ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ames Performance is good, Performance years is also. That is a great car. Bought my 67 for the same reason. (paid a lot more, though.) Drive it every chance I get. have fun.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
FNG, it's a good thing that your name isn't NFG! :) You bought yourself a great car at a great price, and from what I've read, you have GOOD TASTE! (Not cloning it, going back to original color, etc.) You already have the basics....my direction would be a fairly original looking sleeper that runs really strong. Tempest's are the lightest one, lighter than the GTO or LeMans, but share the same sexy body style. Have fun with it!

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Congrats on the NICE car for that paltry sum....

Gulf Turquoise is beautiful...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts