Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I'm new to this board, but I'd though I'd ask you all a few questions since I'm thinking about getting the 05' GTO. I'm looking at buying a new car around the end of the year (waiting for end of the year discounts :)) after I'm finished paying off my current car, a 2001 Grand Prix. I test-drove the 04' when they came out last year, and surprisingly fell in love with it. Since then, one of my friends has bought one, and he has let me drive it a few times. The car is amazing! Even at high speeds :rofl: I felt secure.

Anyway my questions are, how are the 05's different from the 04's? I know they have the ls2, which gives them 50hp more, but I was wondering if they have changed any of the suspension to make the car "feel" different from the 04's? Also, how do the trannys hold up? Are there any known problems yet? Are there any recalls or common defects that people are experiencing? I know that when the 04 Grand Prix's came out, people where having headlight problems and water leaking into the cab.

I will be keeping my GP though, I love that car. Since it is almost paid off, I'll keep it for a daily driver and put the GTO on my insurance as a weekend car ;) .

TIA!

-AnthonyGP

·
Registered
565 Posts
For the most part the GTO isn't having any more severe problem than any other car has in it's first and second years of production. It's a very sound car - no recalls or anything like that yet.

Main new features on the 05's that the 04's didn't have.... LS2, hood scopps, split exhaust, better brakes, and from what I can think of that's about it.

Be careful about waiting for the big "year-end-discounts" because depending on where you live, there may not be any at your local dealerships. The 05 goat sales are way up from last year, and GM isn't having to do too much discounting on them to move them off the lots.

If you want, however, I think there are around 50 still new 04's around the country that haven't been sold yet... if there were one near me I'd buy it :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys! My mind is nearly made up now, I just have a few more cars to test drive before I'm set on teh GTO. So far these are the cars I am looking at:

05'/06' GTO
06' Charger SRT-8
05/06 G35 and 350Z
05/06 Lexus i300
05/06 SRT-4
05/06 Cobalt SS
05/06 WRX STi
05/06 Mustang GT

I have read the thread regarding the G35. It was very informative, but I still want to test drive it anyways. The GTO, right now, is the front runner but I don't want to rule anything out. By the end of the year, I'm hoping to have a new car. Which most likely will be the GTO. :cheers

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
AnthonyGP said:
Thanks for the info guys! My mind is nearly made up now, I just have a few more cars to test drive before I'm set on teh GTO. So far these are the cars I am looking at:

05'/06' GTO
06' Charger SRT-8
05/06 G35 and 350Z
05/06 Lexus i300
05/06 SRT-4
05/06 Cobalt SS
05/06 WRX STi
05/06 Mustang GT

I have read the thread regarding the G35. It was very informative, but I still want to test drive it anyways. The GTO, right now, is the front runner but I don't want to rule anything out. By the end of the year, I'm hoping to have a new car. Which most likely will be the GTO. :cheers
Good luck!! :cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
Other small but significant upgrades for '05 (at least on 6 speeds) were:

1. dead pedal (foot rest) so the left foot doesn't sink into oblivion.
2. better pedal placement for heel-toe use (gas and brake a little closer together), still not as good as needed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hmmmm...not quite. My 05 6spd did not come with a dead pedal neither did the 05 6spds that two of my buddies purchased.

wwroller said:
Other small but significant upgrades for '05 (at least on 6 speeds) were:

1. dead pedal (foot rest) so the left foot doesn't sink into oblivion.
2. better pedal placement for heel-toe use (gas and brake a little closer together), still not as good as needed.

·
Registered
565 Posts
AnthonyGP said:

05'/06' GTO
06' Charger SRT-8
05/06 G35 and 350Z
05/06 Lexus i300
05/06 SRT-4
05/06 Cobalt SS
05/06 WRX STi
05/06 Mustang GT

I'll just tell you the basics of each of those cars... maybe help your decision a bit ;)

GTO - Kicks ass! duh! :lol: Its fast, has a nice ride, and is wuite reliable. Handling isn't the best, but it's good. Comfortable seating for all 4 passengers too.

Charger SRT8 - From what I've seen, it looks much better than a base charger, but still is craptastic IMO :willy: Has a strong hemi, but is also very heavy for a muscle car... shouldn't be faster than an 05+ GTO. Interrior looks somewhat cheap I think, but for the most part it IS a nice car.

G35/350Z - More for the luxury car point of view. Neither are nearly as fast as the GTO, but their handling is very good. Good quality, and nice interrior. nice cars in all, but don't get one if you want a lot of speed.

i300 - I haven't had too much experience with this as I don't care for Lexus'. Reason for that is where I live every stuck up prick that wants to act like they're rich bastards drives a Lexus... so that car brand has been ruined for me.

SRT4 - Ok, keep this in mind.... It's only a Dodge Neon, except it looks nicer and is definately faster. Definately not as fast as the GTO though. It's a really good car if you want something for economy (fuel efficiency) that's also pretty fast. But keep in mind that it won't handle that great (mainly because it's still a neon) and that it is still a Neon. Oh, and it's also a Neon ;)

Cobalt SS - Very nice economy-like car with some kick to it. If I were to get an economy car I would get this. Yeah so it's a nice car... that's about all I have to say.

WRX STi - It's fast... really fast... like it will run along side an 05 GTO. Although it isn't nearly as good in the top end as the GTO. It's still a very nice and mean competitor though. This would have to be my 2nd choice out of all the cars listed here.

Mustang GT - Overrated - Almost Makes Startrek Watchable. :rofl:
Just don't get this expecting it to be crazy fast like most people do. The interrior quality sucks, the handling isn't the best, and it's definately not the fastest muscle car around. It looks much flashier than the goat, but I personally would never buy one.

And yes, I typed all of this out just because I had a lot of time on my hands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.