Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am a new member and prospective owner of a 66 Lemans. I wanted to know if its true that the 66 Lemans with factory 4 speed and 326 is the special buy people make it out to be. Ive heard that its a desireable. Excuse my Pontiac ignorance. I am more of a chevy guy and just sold the 70 camaro i restored. Im looking at getting the Lemans on Friday evening. Thansk in advance.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Welcome to the GTO forum ! :)

If the 326 is original, I'd pull it, store it, and put in a bigger Pontiac engine, like a 400 or 455. But, if it runs & drives good, and you don't want lots more power & torque, then just drive it & enjoy.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Hello everyone. I am a new member and prospective owner of a 66 Lemans. I wanted to know if its true that the 66 Lemans with factory 4 speed and 326 is the special buy people make it out to be. Ive heard that its a desireable. Excuse my Pontiac ignorance. I am more of a chevy guy and just sold the 70 camaro i restored. Im looking at getting the Lemans on Friday evening. Thansk in advance.

"Special" and "Desirable" is a matter of perspective. "Unique" might be a better word.

The 4-speed, if factory, would have been an additional cost option. The 326CI is not a desireable engine, nor what many will use/rebuild. It's just a low power V8 option.

However, you could have a factory HO package, 326HO 285HP engine, 4-Bbl carb, engine block code WR, with 4-speed. These are low production and would be very rare and few left, but again, not the drivetrain one would desire as most want horsepower and that means a transplant to 389/400/421/428/455.

To best answer your question, you will need to order the factory build sheet from Pontiac Historical Services (PHS) which will tell you if the engine is the HO engine and if the 4-speed is factory installed. It may have the "Sprint" option, and if it did, this should show up as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts