Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post here, so Hello! Board looks good :cheers

I am trying to decide what car I am going to purchase next. Everything I look at points me back to the SRT8 300C and GTO for domestics.

I have yet to drive either, but I will in the near future.

What I hope will make the final decision for me is for the the Quantity and Quality of Mods avail for either car.
Which ever car I decide to buy, I want to get some serious power out of it immediately.

So I guess my question is: What is the MOST streetable power that has been had out of a GTO? Are TTs available yet as a Kit, or from a tuner?
How avail are the basic mods. Headers, exhaust, airbox/filter kits, etc.

Thanks in advance! :cheers

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright, so NOT alot of help in the weekend. I understand that! :willy:

I've been searching the forums, and finding out some good info.

Looks like head/cam, exhaust are easy. SC is avail, and A turbo kit is also avail.
I didn't see any info on a Twin Turbo kit.
And I was not able to find out how much boost is possible with the STS turbo kit. Which seems to be priced very well! :cheers

I've got a email to GTODEALER, so I am anxious to find out what he's got.

How much of a difference will the '05 yield over the '04 in regards to response to Mods?

Thanks again! :party:

·
Registered
937 Posts
GOTPWR said:
Alright, so NOT alot of help in the weekend. I understand that! :willy:

I've been searching the forums, and finding out some good info.

Looks like head/cam, exhaust are easy. SC is avail, and A turbo kit is also avail.
I didn't see any info on a Twin Turbo kit.
And I was not able to find out how much boost is possible with the STS turbo kit. Which seems to be priced very well! :cheers

I've got a email to GTODEALER, so I am anxious to find out what he's got.

How much of a difference will the '05 yield over the '04 in regards to response to Mods?

Thanks again! :party:
Hey, just so you are clear, no turbo, or SC mods are available yet for the 05. Unless you are going to pick up a used 04 you will have to wait for a bit on the heavy mods to the LS2. You should be happy with the showroom power for a little while at least, so I would say get one and run it for a bit and then tackle the mods. By the way, the LS2 is one hell of a powerplant stock so aside from force feeding it you may not want to mod the engine itself too much. The heads, pistons, crank and stuff are bulletproof. 6-bolt mains in this thing!!! Lightweight pistons, powder coated rods all ready to go. Rockers and springs for some more RPM's but aside from that you would have a time trying to build anything better. Good luck and hope you join the club soon!

:cheers

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JMVorbeck said:
Hey, just so you are clear, no turbo, or SC mods are available yet for the 05. Unless you are going to pick up a used 04 you will have to wait for a bit on the heavy mods to the LS2. You should be happy with the showroom power for a little while at least, so I would say get one and run it for a bit and then tackle the mods. By the way, the LS2 is one hell of a powerplant stock so aside from force feeding it you may not want to mod the engine itself too much. The heads, pistons, crank and stuff are bulletproof. 6-bolt mains in this thing!!! Lightweight pistons, powder coated rods all ready to go. Rockers and springs for some more RPM's but aside from that you would have a time trying to build anything better. Good luck and hope you join the club soon!

:cheers

Thanks for the info! I did not know the '05 was a bit behind with avail mods right now. Makes sense with what I have read.
I am pretty much a POWER junkie, and will want the power right away.
If the '05 internals are 'that' strong, I might have to wait, and just add some Turbos to an '05! :cheers

I have not been able to find a comparison thread putting the '04 engine and '05 engine side-by-side. It would seem the '05 is more than just exhaust, as some believe.

·
Registered
937 Posts
GOTPWR said:
Thanks for the info! I did not know the '05 was a bit behind with avail mods right now. Makes sense with what I have read.
I am pretty much a POWER junkie, and will want the power right away.
If the '05 internals are 'that' strong, I might have to wait, and just add some Turbos to an '05! :cheers

I have not been able to find a comparison thread putting the '04 engine and '05 engine side-by-side. It would seem the '05 is more than just exhaust, as some believe.
Oh hell yes it is. The 05 has PBR brakes (dual piston calipers in front), larger axles, rear end change to reduce wheel hop, and namely the LS2. The exhaust is only a cosmetic change for 05 as are the hood scoops and instrument cluster. The LS2 is larger, has a higher compression ratio, a 90mm throttle body and "drive by wire" throttle control in addition to a totally new engine management system. It also revs higher and puts out 50 more horses. While the stock performance gains over the LS1 are not exceptional at the track the LS2 uses the latest engine technology and with more displacement I would imagine you could build it out to achieve higher levels of performance than the LS1 is capable of. Just wait for the mods to come and I think you will be happy with the LS2.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's alot of extra goodies for the '05. Looks like it will be worth the wait for mods.

I have yet to see a TT setup. Only the STS kit, which looks to be a rear-mount, and I have not been a fan of those setups, due to lag. But since I haven't even driven a Stock GTO yet, I guess I should drive that first, and then find a STS GTO to try out too! :cheers

I showed my Son the pictures of the GTO from the gallery here and he has given me approval! Which is important of course, as he turns 4 next week. :D
He want a fast car with a Back seat so Mom can ride with us too! :eek: Not sure if that's good or bad! :rofl:

thanks for the tips!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.