Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to tear down my 65 389. Sat in my father in law's garage for 15+ years, without any spark plugs and without the carb covered. Nothing was covered, so I figured this would be a good idea.

Which paid off, because the crap / debris found in the cylinders would have probably damaged a lot of other mechanical inside if it would have been put together and fired.

I've searched RockAuto, Summit, and a few other sites. Problem is, they have a HUGE variety of Head bolts, but most of the descriptions state that they are for High Performance / Performer heads. I can't really find anything that says "Stock" or "OEM" heads.

Can I get your feedback about what bolts might / should work with a stock 389 block with stock heads? Or where I can get them? I don't want to get the wrong bolts, and really screw up the motor.

Also, if I can get your feedback about what kind of gaskets I should put in (Head, Valve Cover, basically all of them). I want to do this tear down and rebuild right, the first time.

Thank You!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The original Pontiac V8 head bolts can be removed, cleaned, & reused. This is typical practice when rebuilding Pontiac V8's. Have always put aside nice head bolts out of engine cores that heads were sold off, blocks were sold off, etc. Eventually, go through all of the headbolts & put together whatever I need. Some specific headbolts like the passenger side center exhaust studded bolt for a '66 or '67 with AC, they are tougher to find. Reproduction Pontiac headbolts are avail through the PartsPlace, but they lack the correct head markings.... something that just doesn't cut it in many restorations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts