Pontiac GTO Forum banner

help finding part (fender brace)

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  FlambeauHO 
#1 ·
A small brace that holds the fender to the frame? I have one on the driver's side but am missing the one on the passenger's side. Can't figure out what it's called, have had no luck with Google.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I sent a pic to Ames and they said it's not OEM. But there are factory-looking screw holes that this fits into so clearly SOMETHING OEM goes there. Can anyone with a "more OEM" 68/69 GTO take a look and tell me what you see? I can always just get a bracket at Home Depot, cut it to length, and twist it in a vice to match, but I'd really like to know.

#3 ·
Can't really tell from your photo - a good shot, but how about one a little further away to show placement and orientation.

My guess is that with all that undercoating, that is the lower fender brace area found at the back of the fender adjacent to the door? It should have a tab at the bottom of the fender where it gets bolted up to the lower cowl. That is not factory, so it looks like some one improvised to keep the lower fender from flopping in the wind.

#10 ·
Now that I'm under the car I think I made this bracket during the resto, I believe I ordered the above brackets and they didn't fit in any rational manner. The one in your pic above is definitely home made as well. I'll attach a pic of mine and I'll do some research tomorrow as I'm doing work on the car again and may redo some of my previous work. Maybe someone else will chime in with the original setup... Cheers

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.