Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in the market for a GTO.

I would like an 05, used or new. (cant really afford the 06.)

Dealers here in the Charlotte Nc are seem to like to jerk people around.

Recently I went to a local dealer which I will not name. The people seem nice, I even spoke with the owners.

The affordable (closest affordable) offer (they have no 05's) was on an 06 M6. It was a lease program, 48 months, 538 a month 1k down. 15k miles a year with a 14k residual after the 48 months. I am very leary of this offer. All of the loan options were way out of my payment range. I asked for something I could take to my credit union and I was given a buy order listing FULL MSRP -500 bucks. This just seemed a bit..... Fishy.

The closest new 05 I can find with a configuration I want is in rockingham NC at a dealer I have never heard of. (Black 05 m6) Seems like every dealer here is packed with Red , grey and silver, or auto trans. None of which I am interested in at all. Would it be better to go see them or have a dealer try and transfer it locally? Im not sure how these things work, but I know I cannot afford a 34,000 tag, nor will I pay it when I hear of guys getting 05's new for 28,500 - 29,000.

I would even buy a used 05 with low mileage.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have been looking also. The best quote I got for a new 05 was 28,600. It was a six speed with the 18 inch wheels , msrp was 34,185.
GMAC ha 72 month financing for 4.9% thats about 480 a month to finance 30k. Hope this helps.
Dealernut should be able to help even more.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Get the one in Rockingham.

Then take US 220-N to Ellerbe, make a left onto 73 and take 73 thru Albemarle all the way to Concord. That will put you "close" to Charlotte.

On the way back from a Southern 500 in Darlington I had driven up to Rockingham then took this way (during my pre-GTO days, had to be 2004 because it was after Rockingham had been closed, had a rented GP).

I turned onto NC 3 to go to Kannapolis then on towards Mooresville, you'd probably want to get to 29 South from Concord.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Don't talk payments with a dealer. Ever. Search the internet for loan rates. They usually have payment calculators. Then go and get your best deal. If you get approved for the loan, you'll have the check in hand. I'd just look for the '05 you want, fax a letter to the dealership asking for their best price and leave it at that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I wouldnt really mind the lease, but it just seems like they are charging me too much. Then again, it is an 06. I want to be under 500. I am paying 325 a month on my 02 Dakota R/T now.

Rockingham isnt too far from charlotte. About an hout and a half, 70 or so miles. Id hate to drive all that way to get BS'ed again.

There is also another (according to pontiac's website) at berglund in Roanoke, Va. My family is there but thats a 3 hr drive and the dak eats gas like you wouldnt belive. Belive it or no I get 13 mpg in the thing so the GTO would be an improvement.

Carmax has a used black 05 m6 in ft lauderdale, 28,900 or something. $350 to transfer. It seems good pontiac dealers are hard to find and I hate wasting my, and the dealer's time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
dallas love the avatar pic, I was a 19 delta :)

yes Im not making any sudden moves on this. I am going to my credit union tomorrow to see if they will prequalify me.

When I bought my dakota, they handed me a check on the spot in about 15 minutes. I was floored.

That was only a 19K deal though, I hope they will go for the 30K range. Payments only be like 150 more a month. Wouldnt hurt me at all.

I really liked my Dak R?T I just outgrew it, got tired of it. Sick of trucks.

Im dont think Im upside down in it.. About even actually. Which should help on a trade I guess.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Borsig, I really hate to read posts like yours. B_A is right, you are not buying a payment you are buying a car, a depreciating asset from the moment you take posession. Find the best price you can. Decide whether you are able and willing to pay that price. Now consider insurance, fuel, maintenance and unforeseen expenses. Can you handle a $5,000 loss if the car gets totaled in 3 months? If you can't easily shrug off those costs, walk away and go find a car you can afford.

The GTO is a cheap performance car but it's not free.

What has been going on for the last 5 - 10 years with credit in this country is unethical if not criminal. Car companies and dealers selling unsophisticated buyers payments they can't afford. Buyers upside down for the life of the loan. 72 month financing on a flippin car??? Insane. Credit card companies advancing credit lines to people they know can't repay to trap them in perpetual debt at usurous interest rates. Don't fall into their trap. Excercise some self control and either wait or find something you can easily afford.

A car is about the dumbest reason I can think of to jeopardize your financial security. Good luck. Hope you do the smart thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wing_Nut said:
The GTO is a cheap performance car but it's not free.
Please dont insult my intelligence. You know... When i bought my R/T I had a salesman tell me "these trucks arent cheap". I bought elsewhere for a better deal and had it serviced at his dealership just to spite him. Dont get me wrong, Im not trying to attack you, but when I hear someone say that to me, it offs me a bit.

I will not be patronized by a dealer who wants to charge me full MSRP + loopy fees and a $549 paint seal mandatory. Theres a huge difference in 35k and 28.5K.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Wing_Nut said:
Borsig,

What has been going on for the last 5 - 10 years with credit in this country is unethical if not criminal. Car companies and dealers selling unsophisticated buyers payments they can't afford. Buyers upside down for the life of the loan. 72 month financing on a flippin car??? Insane. Credit card companies advancing credit lines to people they know can't repay to trap them in perpetual debt at usurous interest rates. Don't fall into their trap. Excercise some self control and either wait or find something you can easily afford.

A car is about the dumbest reason I can think of to jeopardize your financial security. Good luck. Hope you do the smart thing.
My personal favorite from local radio ads: "Get the car you deserve!"

I'm sorry but in searching the constitution, I can't find any entitlements to a car (or even a horse).

Some car dealerships, and even furniture and appliance stores are making it WAY too easy to get credit and finance purchases. If a young person or couple is not careful, they soon find themselves "upside down" on everything they own, because the purchases wear out before they're paid for.

My rant.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Borsig said:
I am in the market for a GTO.

I would like an 05, used or new. (cant really afford the 06.)

Dealers here in the Charlotte Nc are seem to like to jerk people around.

Recently I went to a local dealer which I will not name. The people seem nice, I even spoke with the owners.

The affordable (closest affordable) offer (they have no 05's) was on an 06 M6. It was a lease program, 48 months, 538 a month 1k down. 15k miles a year with a 14k residual after the 48 months. I am very leary of this offer. All of the loan options were way out of my payment range. I asked for something I could take to my credit union and I was given a buy order listing FULL MSRP -500 bucks. This just seemed a bit..... Fishy.

The closest new 05 I can find with a configuration I want is in rockingham NC at a dealer I have never heard of. (Black 05 m6) Seems like every dealer here is packed with Red , grey and silver, or auto trans. None of which I am interested in at all. Would it be better to go see them or have a dealer try and transfer it locally? Im not sure how these things work, but I know I cannot afford a 34,000 tag, nor will I pay it when I hear of guys getting 05's new for 28,500 - 29,000.

I would even buy a used 05 with low mileage.

Anyone have any suggestions?

OK <cracks knuckles>!!!!!

All the guys here are right in their own respect.

I will answer what I can

1. Leasing a GTO is not a good option. The rates and residuals make it easier and generally cheaper to buy it.
2. Like WS6Vert said a good # on an 05 is $28,600. that is essentially a $500 dollar deal for the dealership, after holdback.
3. Shop for a local rate with your credit unions. They are always the cheapest. Should be around 5% to 6% if you have the credit.
4. DO NOT LET A DEALERSHIP PUSH YOU AROUND! GTO's and Solstice are a car that allow egotistical sales teams to flex their muscle. Or so they think. That does not mean you cannot get a test drive, a demo drive (by yourself). You are the buyer and you have the power.
5. As far as me, I have three 05's. All m6, two silver (one red interior, one black), one red(black). I can get you a Black if you need it. I also have a 04 GTO for $20,500, with 27,000 miles on it.

As far as your need to buy. There is a difference between the need and the want to buy a car. No one ever needs to have a 2 door 400hp car. But I sell hundreds of them a year. We only love once and sometimes there is a time to say WTF.

Financial planning is extremely important in my life, but thats mainly for my kids. I own 6 cars and that in no way helps my future plans of retirement, 401k, Persoal portfolio, or my net worth. But what do I care. I am 34 and I will only be 34 once.

There has to be a balance between reason and pleasure. The GTO might not be conventional, but that does not mean you should not have one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
On the phone now with places and dealers lol.

I have already called my CU. Should have an answer on preapproval by this afternoon (crosses fingers).

Not interested in 04's. I want the LS2.

The "unnamed dealer" did let me test drive it. I was impressed with the car even when I missed a shift like a dolt. (is it me or is the GTO shifter a bit substandard?) I didnt even have to ask. I guess rolling up in a truck that was 28K new 4 years ago helped.

I was very shy of the lease. Escpically moreso after they gave me a buyers order to take to my CU that stated full msrp. I didnt even bother. I just called them and asked for a preapproval about 10 minutes ago.

Im hoping to get preapproved to give myself some ammo with the dealers down the road. So tired of the BS. Where is your dealership, Dealernut?

And as for insurance? lol. Try cheaper. Got off the phone with my ins co, and with GMAC insurance, my rate (0 points) is actually cheaper than what i am paying now for the R/T, works out to about 100 bucks a month, and thats with my beater car on the policy too!

Only thing I am wooried about is my CU. The handed me a check in 15 minutes for my dak, and didnt even bat an eye, but they are funny and wouldnt approve me on a motorcycle last summer because "A vehicle is a needed item". Go figure.

I'm also worried about getting too many hits on my credit since the dealer I visted saturday had to hit it to quote me the lease price. (at least I think they did)

Havent missed a car or house payment in 3 years though.

Edit- no I do not "NEED" a GTO, but I like it , want it, the female unit even likes it and wants me to get it (go figure). But considering the payemnt I have now, and what I could get one for, espcially if the CU approves me, I can afford it, if I find the right 05. Hundred bucks a month isnt much more, then factor in I am actually going to SAVE gas and insurance (talk about a WTF) and it looks better. Im not upside down in my truck, trade value KBB is like 10,300 I owe something like 9800.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Borsig said:
On the phone now with places and dealers lol.

I have already called my CU. Should have an answer on preapproval by this afternoon (crosses fingers).

Not interested in 04's. I want the LS2.

The "unnamed dealer" did let me test drive it. I was impressed with the car even when I missed a shift like a dolt. (is it me or is the GTO shifter a bit substandard?) I didnt even have to ask. I guess rolling up in a truck that was 28K new 4 years ago helped.

I was very shy of the lease. Escpically moreso after they gave me a buyers order to take to my CU that stated full msrp. I didnt even bother. I just called them and asked for a preapproval about 10 minutes ago.

Im hoping to get preapproved to give myself some ammo with the dealers down the road. So tired of the BS. Where is your dealership, Dealernut?

And as for insurance? lol. Try cheaper. Got off the phone with my ins co, and with GMAC insurance, my rate (0 points) is actually cheaper than what i am paying now for the R/T, works out to about 100 bucks a month, and thats with my beater car on the policy too!

Only thing I am wooried about is my CU. The handed me a check in 15 minutes for my dak, and didnt even bat an eye, but they are funny and wouldnt approve me on a motorcycle last summer because "A vehicle is a needed item". Go figure.

I'm also worried about getting too many hits on my credit since the dealer I visted saturday had to hit it to quote me the lease price. (at least I think they did)

Havent missed a car or house payment in 3 years though.

Jacksonville Florida. call me if interested. 904-724-2310 Names Ernest
Insurance - Hell yeah. The GTO is cheap to insure.
Credit - Perfect paid auto for three years. They will say yes. Unless there is something not said.
Credit Score - Just make sure you have less than 6 in 6 months and you will be fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.