Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'66 GTO, "B" title, I acquired when my uncle passed away a few years ago. I have pulled the 389 out of it because it needs to be rebuilt, badly, & God only knows whats under the paint on the body. I call it a "20 footer", looks good from 20 feet away. Anyway, I can never sell the car (part of it being given to me, must stay in the family), & was thinking on putting in a crate engine, 350 or something like that & doing somewhat of a resto-mod, with disk brakes & things of that nature. I want to give it to my son when he gets his driving lic., well, I'll let him drive it every now & then. What I'm asking is, is this a good idea? Should I just rebuild the 389? I don't care so much about the value & original status because it can't be sold. If I was to use a crate engine, I would always have the original engine in the garage, hopefully rebuilt over time. Has anyone here done this type of thing, "resto-mod"? Or is this a voo-doo type of thing? Thanks for any input, good or bad, in helping with decision.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
By "crate 350" are you talking a Chevrolet engine, because they are not directly interchangeable. It can be done but you need the transmission and exhaust for that engine too, not to mention ALL the accessory components, pulleys, belts, etc.
If you're gonna spend all that, rebuild the 389. As far as resto-mod, 4 wheel disc brakes is a fairly easy and worthwhile upgrade. Lowering springs, sway bars and tubular front suspension to enhance handling is available. too.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
You can do a fine resto rod with suspension and brake upgrades readily available. Rebuild and KEEP the original engine. 389's are the heart and soul of an early GTO. and they are much more powerful than a 350 crate motor.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
If it were my uncle and the car was left to me with the the condition that it stay in the family, I would restore the car to it's original showroom condition and keep it in a climate controlled storage facility.

JMHO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts