Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting a new car shortly, and right now the prime candidate is an 06 STI, but I've begun looking at the 06 GTO. I haven't had a chance to test drive either, but I'd like to be as prepared as possible when I walk on the lot. So my question to you guys is how do you feel about the car overall? I want performance, and I've heard the GTO has a somewhat disconnected ride, are you satisfied with it? Also, how easy is it to break the rear loose (I'd like a safe car...)? How is the quality/reliability? I've heard alot of bad things about GM's reliability and even more saying the interior is poor quality, has this changed with the GTO? I'd also like the car to last a long time, and this is a strong suit of subaru's, but I'm not so sure about GM.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
GTODEALER said:
Get the Goat!!! The new STI's are ugly as hell, not to mention slower!:cheers
personally, I prefer the STI's looks...not much of a fan of GM's styling. And while the STI is a bit slower on a drag strip, I'm more interested in autox than drag racing, so idk if I'll even notice the higher topend the goat has.

one other question to add to my first post, how's the shifter feel? I hear its got a really long throw to it...

btw, im probably going to fight for the STI a bit as I'm guessing this board is more than likely going to side with the goat...just a hunch.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Trust me when I say I understand about "fighting" for another car (I had probably the fastest GTO on this site and I sold it for an SRT4). The stock shifter sucks in a GTO. If you compare autox'ing then the STI will hand the GTO it's ass hands down! If you don't mind throwing a little money towards the car then it can be made to turn that around, however, you throw that same money towards a STI and you've got one hell of a fast ass four door car! Keep in mind that the refinement, interior, overall feel of the car, and build quality is far better than the STI. Eventually it's up to you......

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
GTODEALER said:
Get the Goat!!! The new STI's are ugly as hell, not to mention slower!:cheers
Oh my gosh! I just saw a picture of the '06 WRX STI. It's got the same ugly front as that Subaru Tribeca!

Ugliest front end since the Ford Edsel.

Hey, but if that floats your boat, go for it!

·
Registered
187 Posts
When I went car shopping earlier this month this was my list in the order I thought I'd get things

1) Sti
2) Evo
3) G35C
4) GTO

After driving everything, I picked the GTO. The STI is a GREAT car, and became the battle car against the GTO for me, but in the end, I picked the GTO. IT was as nice inside as the G35, not AS fun as the STI to throw around, but pretty damn fun, and you can't beat that large 6 liter, yes the turbo motor in the STI is fun, but to me, the LS2 took the cake.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
My .02 cents

STI
damn fun car. I have driven several and they are all fun as hell. The handling was nothing amazing IMO. AWD is the only hige benefit of the WRX. i personally do not care for the plain jane looks of a 4 door mini sedan. But some love that look.

GTO
Its unfair to compare the STI's interior with the GTO's. The GTO beats it hands down in this category. The GTO is better fundementally engine wise. Its naturally aspirated and produced much more power. Get some good tires and some polyuerathaine bushings and aftermarket sway bars and you have a corner eater.

Last but not least.....rarity and resale. The GTO will hold its value better and its an extremely rare car. How many WRX's do you see at the autocross events? How many GTO's?

Stand out from the crowd and take the road least travelled. You will not be disappointed.

BTW - The GTO is not a GM styled car. For GM styling please look for Firebirds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dealernut said:
My .02 cents
Last but not least.....rarity and resale. The GTO will hold its value better and its an extremely rare car. How many WRX's do you see at the autocross events? How many GTO's?
You may be right, but the GTO's rarity may not be the sole purpose for there being few at autox in comparison to the STI...
That being said, I almost never see either in my local area. Since I dont live near any mountains and snow is rare, AWD is less common. Subies also hold thier value extreemly well, as they commonly last 200+k miles if you treat em right.

I've heard stories about the interior falling apart in the GTO's, any one here have any similar expiriances?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
KrazyKarl said:
You may be right, but the GTO's rarity may not be the sole purpose for there being few at autox in comparison to the STI...
That being said, I almost never see either in my local area. Since I dont live near any mountains and snow is rare, AWD is less common. Subies also hold thier value extreemly well, as they commonly last 200+k miles if you treat em right.

I've heard stories about the interior falling apart in the GTO's, any one here have any similar expiriances?
the suede lining on the interior has been known to come loose. But it seems to be fairly rare.

Regionally the WRX's(05)<32% loss> value is low compared to a comparable GTO(LS2)<27%loss>. But that is in SE.

GTO would be a good car in autox. They are nimble and can drift very well around corners. The car gets boaty at high speeds, but brakes strong and can power straights very well. But the GTO requires talent, the car can easily get away from someone with little experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.