Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
ok got a few questions for you
im 17, got a part time job right now 8$ an hour, about 30 hours a week. ill go full time when i graduate in may and go do a little bit of college when it starts back (full scholorship). i have a 1987 blazer at the moment and i pay a little moe than 200 a month in insurance. every other bit of money i get is put in the bank and saved.
now heres my question, im going to get a new ride around september. my parents will help me out a little bit too. what i need to know is how bad is my insurance going to be if i get say a 4th gen camaro or a gto or cars like that? im working my ass off to get a gto but if the payments and insurance are going to be to much which im pretty sure they will be, what else do you guys sugest? im wanting rwd v8 preferably, but what about the ss cobalts and new monte carlos ss with the v8? just if you guys can give me some ideas id be really greatful.
thanks

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
hey guys,
ok got a few questions for you
im 17, got a part time job right now 8$ an hour, about 30 hours a week. ill go full time when i graduate in may and go do a little bit of college when it starts back (full scholorship). i have a 1987 blazer at the moment and i pay a little moe than 200 a month in insurance. every other bit of money i get is put in the bank and saved.
now heres my question, im going to get a new ride around september. my parents will help me out a little bit too. what i need to know is how bad is my insurance going to be if i get say a 4th gen camaro or a gto or cars like that? im working my ass off to get a gto but if the payments and insurance are going to be to much which im pretty sure they will be, what else do you guys sugest? im wanting rwd v8 preferably, but what about the ss cobalts and new monte carlos ss with the v8? just if you guys can give me some ideas id be really greatful.
thanks

This is the toughest pill to swallow. Don't waste your money on a car till you are out of college. If I were you I would buy a 2-3 year old Cavalier, Sunfire, Corolla, ETC.... Don't get the sport model either, get one that was owned by grandma. 4 years from now your insurance will be much lower. Instead of having the cool car you will have money to do cool things. You will enjoy being able to do more things than you will having a car but not being able to afford the other things you want.

Seriously, by saving your money now you will come out of college and be able to buy a nice car and have a decent downpayment instead of having a car that depreciated faster than you paid it off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i see your point but, i wont have to pay for anything that has to do with college, ill even have free dorm lol by the time im out of college ill have a REALLY good job and ill be able to buy a real nice ride.
im not saying i got plenty of money but i got a pretty decnt job, and cars are the things i enjoy. i just waqnt a cool car that i can mess around with on my free time, that will be afordable to me with my current job.
i pretty much know that i want get what i really want right now cause of insurance but i was just curious to see what the ballpark figure will be.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Seriously man, Fergy is right. It is a BAD idea. 1-You will not be able to aford it. 2- It has WAY to much power for a 17 year old, no matter how "good" of a driver you think you are. 3- If you are interested in getting a car as a hobbie, get a cheap four banger and tune it up, while you pay for things that will finance your super cars in the future. Farrari, Lambo, Bugati, Z06... you know.
Sounds like you have good taste though. Just wait.:eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well iv kinda figured im not gonna get a gto or anything but how bout the cobalt?
good gas milege, not really expensive, kinda cool, i wont get a brand new one probly 05 or 06. the damn wing will have to go tho.
and ill probly be getting toward the end of the year which ill be 18 by then....not that that makes any difference to what you were talking about with the to much power lol but im just sayin.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
well iv kinda figured im not gonna get a gto or anything but how bout the cobalt?
good gas milege, not really expensive, kinda cool, i wont get a brand new one probly 05 or 06. the damn wing will have to go tho.
and ill probly be getting toward the end of the year which ill be 18 by then....not that that makes any difference to what you were talking about with the to much power lol but im just sayin.
:agree :agree
I test drove a Cobalt SS and the GTO the same day. Deffinitly sounds like what you need.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok im gonna throw the camaro and gto dream out the window for now.
now that i think about it the cobalt sounds like it will work for me the best at this point in my life.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's what it's like for someone who had the same idea as you and is working for his stuff...

Hey kiddo, I went down the same road as you... Despite the fact I love my car, I wish I wasn't tied down already. Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on some things in life :) Just workin and going to college, barely have enough time for the girlfriend (God bless her heart!), let alone other activities. What is free time?? I feel your gratification and good will to show everyone you can do this. Yeah it's cool to be kewl, but on the other hand who is cooler in the end? -A person with a life full of memories to remember and a sweet car later, or just a person with a car... If you must, go with an older, cheaper sports car, but it's your choice in the end. Utilize this advice as you please. Remember, you really are entering the best times of your life! Whatever road you choose, Best Wishes!

Dan
i was thinkin about that too, im not really in a serious relationship at the moment but i do want one eventually and i wouldnt want to do that to her. so im gonna stay away from the sports car for now, and hopefully get an earlier cheaper year ss colbolt. payments shouldnt be bad and the insuance better not be for a four banger.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
To be honest I have my "Dream car" in the garage. But what I realy want want is a ford festiva to rally around town in, listening to jitterbug through blown out speakers.:cheers

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Uh. 2.4 liter ecotec, Supercharged. Short throw 5 speed. NIce sound system. They put the battery in the trunk for Easy stereo moding. The Ecotec is a very modable engine, plus great MPG. And a runner for a long time.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
My son was, in a similar predicament. It is not so much the car payments, it's the damn insurance. He is now turning 21 but last summer he wanted another car. Every car he wanted the insurance was insane. Here was my advice to him and we went with it and heres my advice to you.

Instead of getting a used car where the interest rates are higher and you need more money down because of the amount of the loan, and the maintenance end of it could cost you money in repairs, go new. Here is why...

I cosigned a loan on a new 2006 Cobolt. Not a SS cause the added cost and the Insurance is higher cause of the engine displacement. His payments are at 279 for 7 years... 7 years you ask? Yes.... take out the loan as long as you can and pay the loan down with extra payments. This will allow you some flexibility on your money and you are not locked in to a specified payment. If one month you don't want to pay extra, you don't have to. Take the 72 month loan and pay it off in 5 years or less. Be smart and discipline yourself with payments.

3 year warranty... 100K on engine and drive train. NO maintenance fees except for normal wear and tear. This could save you a ton of money because you know you are the only one that has had this car. You buy used, you don't know what will happen after the 30 day warranty expires.

His car payments on the Cobolt are lower or the same as what a used car would be. Plus it is new.

The Cobolt is an excellent car for the money. He has had no issues at all. July until now, NONE, not one complaint. He got the base model for practicality purposes. So what it isn't the SS. It is a sharp car and it's great on mileage. His insurance is 309 a month. That is high. Higher yet for a used car like he wanted.

My advice.... if you are contemplating a car. The Cobolt is an excellent choice. GET NEW, IF the payments with lower interest rates will equate close to a used one. If you want it only a few years then upgrade check in to leasing it.

You will be better off this way then strapping yourself with a car you "have to have" that in time you WILL regret cause now you have to work for the car. DO NOT buy above your means. Today you want it and are excited. I am telling you if you go above your means, in a VERY SHORT time you will regret it and if you choose to sell it, the depreciation will kill you in $$. You want money at the end of the month for girls, mods, etc...... You DO NOT want to put ever single penny in a car.

You will be further ahead..... Think about my advice. My son did and he's got money in his bank account to splurge with, instead of struggling and worrying about payments etc......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Insurance quotes

Call some insurance companies with the car choices you're interested in. They will be happy to give you a quote.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
On the topic of Insurance. Insurance companies like Safe Auto, and Geico try to entice people with their claim that they can save them money by switching to them. This is a misconception. The absolute worse thing you can do is be under insured.

They offer the cheapest rates because they do not offer you coverage that could protect you from lawsuits, or not being covered should you be in an accident with an under insured motorist or have a policy that does not fully protect you. They deal with minimum coverages. People think that by switching to a minimum coverage insurance company they are saving lots of money. This is well and true as long as you do not have to use it. One accident could cost you more than you ever thought. You have to make sure you have enough liability coverage and personal injury coverage to cover you in any event.

If you have the minimum rate insurance coverage on your car say only 15K worth of liability coverage and you nail a guy in a 50K car and total his ride, YOU have to come up with 35K. You will be sued. Say you slide on ice and run into someones home and damage it. Anything above 15K is out of your pocket. It is a BIG price to pay for going with a minimum rate insurance plan.
Say you cause injury to a person that requires major medical care. You have 50K worth of personal injury coverage. They have a week stay in a hospital, or need an operation, or whatever... The bill totals 200K, YOU have to come up with the balance. This is a huge price to pay to save you money on insurance premiums. Safe Auto doesn't tell you this in their commercials.

Those insurance companies are appealing to drivers who have so many points, or claims that no other mainstream insurance company will touch them. It is either minimum coverage or pay an astronomical amount of High Risk Insurance.

When you go out shopping for a car, and insurance for that car. Sit down and talk with an independent Insurance agent. DO NOT do business over the phone with an insurance company. You want face, to face dialog. An Independent Insurance Agent does business with multiple insurance companies and they can give you the best rates without a biased sell of one particular carrier. Make sure you have enough coverage for the unexpected.

Do yourself a favor and avoid Minimum Rate insurance companies like Safe Auto. Last thing you want is to get into an accident and owe someone for the rest of your life. There is no price limit on peace of mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well guys, i found out today that for my job ill need to haul stuff eveyday. its not 100 percent confirmed yet but i might need a truck. i dont really have a problem with that tho. so i might be looking at a ram or silverado......kinda killed my whole plan lol

and btw if i it dosnt turn out i need a truck, how much more was the insurance on the ss for your son?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts