Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Mufflers do you all recommend? I got a 400ci that has been bored out, mild cam, flat top pistons, and has had some head work. It currently has hooker Long tube headers with 2 1/2" new exhaust pipe on stock mufflers. I want to get the most aggresive sounding exhaust out there. Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I have the 3" Pro Street series with X pipe from PYPES.
They are LOUD, sound aggressive and heads turn before I even arrive. They really announce your presence. So many people have complimented me on the sound and a few even asked if I had the VOE. The VOE has a deeper rumble where as the PYPES has a higher pitch.

On the downside, The droan at about 30-35mph can wear on your ear drums. Overall I like the set up. I have heard Flowmasters as well, and they also sound great. If one is looking for a really Loud aggressive sound Pypes has it.

Mine sounds like this on the 70 GTO>> Pypes Performance Exhaust - GM Sounds

·
Registered
60 Posts
Back Pressure

I only have experience with the 40 series.
Keep in mind that the size is crucial. If you open it up too much you will lose back pressure robbing you of bottom end takeoff. I put a 3" exhaust on a mini van once with a v6 engine as an experiment. There was not enough back pressure and the city bus stomped me going up a hill from a standing start. Grin.

·
Registered
235 Posts
magnaflow, pypes, flow-tech. They all flow better than 'flowmasters' Somebody should sue them for using that name.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Buy some Spintech mufflers and don't look back.You'll love them!

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
What Mufflers do you all recommend? I got a 400ci that has been bored out, mild cam, flat top pistons, and has had some head work. It currently has hooker Long tube headers with 2 1/2" new exhaust pipe on stock mufflers. I want to get the most aggresive sounding exhaust out there. Any advice?

Ceramic-coated headers, Kooks exhaust with the quieter Magnaflows. No drone at high speeds, but sounds good around town. My two cents..........

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 68 GTO with RA III and Pypes with Violators. Very agressive. I have 496 GTX with flowmasters. More mellow. LOUD. No reasonance in the fowmasters. Violators howl.
I would do flow tech if I had it do again or Pypes Pro-street.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts