Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 64 Le Mans to cut my teeth on. It has a 327 in it, with a 4 speed Muncie. The rear end is an 8.2 B.O.P with a 2.78 ratio. Yes, it is dead off the line and I want to re gear it but the more I read, the more confused I get. Im pretty sure I should go with a 3.23 but can't figure out if I can with my carrier. I dont want to buy both ring and pinion and also a new carrier. Can anyone tell my for sure, how low(in power) or high(numerically) I can go with my gear ratio by just replacing the ring and pinion. Can someone suggest a knowledgeable company that i can call, tell them what I have, and they can tell me what fits.im new to this game, so any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You didn't mention if it is a posi, not that that matters on a gear change; however, it may just be more cost effective to swap out the entire rear end assembly. Where are you located?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far north as you can go in new york state without being Canadian. There is a P stamped on ring gear but its an open differential. Spin one wheel the other goes backward

1 - 4 of 4 Posts