Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy what is being told to me a 1967-400 block.The # on the block is XV-C227 is this a 67-400 block ?He wants 150.00 for block and crank.Also has a pr of 670 heads for 400.00 good price ?

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
XV B-body 67 400 290 Turbo 400 1x2 9786133

Look for the 9786133 cast behind the #8 cylinder.

C227 looks like the date code - March 22 1967

There were only 3 years where they made XV blocks, '67, '70 and '73......

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
I've seen some numbers where a 400 mated with 670 heads(that you're looking at) has 10.5cr which would be too high for pump gas. From everything I've gathered, you don't want to go any higher than 9.5 for todays gas..... The experts need to weigh in on this issue.....:) I think the block would be fine as long as there are no issues with it...

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
67 first year of 400. could have the good steel armor crank in it . regardless or how it is or was then on c/r , your engine builder can build it accordingly to how you want it and for whatever gas is available .

·
Registered
173 Posts
The '67 block is among the more desirable for a performance application, particularly if the car uses the "two-bolt" mounts. Casting quality is very high and "core shift" is minimal in the vast majority I've machines.

670 heads are very good. True statement about compression being "high" for today's gas. No problem to "fix". Dishing the pistons or enlarging the chambers is not difficult. These are the only "large valve/small chamber" heads with a "closed" chamber (around the spark plug). All the later versions are "open" chambers. For sheer power output, an argument can be made the 670s are "better". The intake runner is among the better "as cast". The bowls, too, are a very good basis for a "port job", among d-ports.

400 crank should be an "N" (nodular iron, good stuff) crank, 524 or 954, IIRC. (last three digits)

$500 isn't unreasonable for such a core today. If it comes with timing cover, pan, bolts, etc. it's a REAL good deal,, IMO. Be sure it has a "money back if cracked" agreement...

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts