Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can somebody plz send me a pic or tell me where the IAT is located on my 2006 pontiac gto? i have purchased a performance chip and in the directions have been told to find the IAT sensor could sombody plz help me with this

Jaymz

·
Registered
201 Posts
can somebody plz send me a pic or tell me where the IAT is located on my 2006 pontiac gto? i have purchased a performance chip and in the directions have been told to find the IAT sensor could sombody plz help me with this

Jaymz
send it back if you can because there is no such thing as a performance chip for the GOAT

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
send it back if you can because there is no such thing as a performance chip for the GOAT
its a performance module to increase the horse power 25+ if this isnt true then i will send it back thx for the warning

by the way i feel stupid for asking i guess i should know but why do you refer to the GTO as a GOAT?? what does GOAT stand for?? thx

Jaymz

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
by the way i feel stupid for asking i guess i should know but why do you refer to the GTO as a GOAT?? what does GOAT stand for?? thx
Jaymz
It started in 1967 with an advertisment for the GTO;

When Is a Goat Not a Goat?

With The Great One theme on the screen and in print, the GTO for 1967 took on a new air of sophistication. Pontiac positioned the GTO to still appeal to the street enthusiasts, but older buyers, professionals and women were targeted as potential customers. One theme Wangers was never able to sell to GM management was the name that still endears itself to the GTO—The Goat. Wangers put together an ad showing a young man standing in his driveway, a pail under his arm, posing with his freshly washed bright red GTO. The ad was titled, "A Boy and His Goat," and by submitting it to the corpo-ration for approval, Wangers, who always had one ear to the pavement, was to discover just how out of touch GM management was with the language and the culture of high-performance enthusiasts.

"At that time, they (GM) had already initiated a corporate committee for all of the divisions to submit their advertising and get approval on everything before we could run it," Wangers recalled. "They were sort of policing the division to make sure we didn't break any of their policies."

Wangers felt the "Boy and His Goat" ad met the criteria. "The ad suggested that everyone ought to have a GTO in order to complete their life cycle," Wangers said. "The ad was very much in line with the pride of ownership image. We felt we had been very successful in capturing that and thought this was an ad that set itself completely within the framework of what the corporation wanted and did for us what we wanted."

The corporate committee rejected the ad based on its perception of what the word goat defined. "The guys downtown told us a goat is the butt of a joke or the butt end of a mistake," Wangers commented. "And they said they certainly understood it enough to know they wouldn't approve it."

Wangers put together a study that quoted enthusiasts in the field, and assembled magazine articles that referenced the GTO as The Goat' and presented it to the committee, explaining, "You've got to give us the benefit of the doubt here, that we know what we're doing. The word Goat is an accepted nickname of the GTO in the field. The people who are living with this car and love and respect it have assumed that the word GTO stands for Goat. Allow us the professionalism of knowing our market. That's why we're successful."

The committee refused the appeal, responding that GM was not going to allow Pontiac to demean the name of their car by referring to it as a goat. Pontiac no longer had the freedom to image and market its products without corporate approval of all advertising. It was the end of a grand era of Tigers, and Wide Tracking would never be the same again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts