Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Help with wheel alignment.

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  RMTZ67 
#1 ·
So I took my car for a alignment many years back. Just never seemed that the toe in" if that is what its called, was that bad. I was wondering... if I adjust the lower tie rod only would that fix it? Does not have to be perfect. For how much I drive it, it should do. You see what I got from a shop after doing my front end replacement and alignment. Not sure if it'
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Muscle car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Automotive tire Car
s that noticeable in the pics.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would find another alignment shop and do it right .... if that was right or correct for that shop I would be worried about other workmanship on the rebuild ...
it probably needs a chassis lube and needs the emergency brake cable hooked up to the floor pan
then your steering wheel is straight ,,, your tires wont wear funny it will drive alot nicer ,

for a big 100.00 ,,,,,,,,,

Scott

and every time you open the garage door youlle be glad you did it

#3 ·
I would find another alignment shop and do it right .... if that was right or correct for that shop I would be worried about other workmanship on the rebuild ...
it probably needs a chassis lube and needs the emergency brake cable hooked up to the floor pan
then your steering wheel is straight ,,, your tires wont wear funny it will drive alot nicer ,

for a big 100.00 ,,,,,,,,,

Scott

and every time you open the garage door youlle be glad you did it
I am with you. Only problem it's getting hard to find any shops that can do it. I was trying to find somewhere to get my heater core done.( I can cruise almost year around and I like my windows down) but no luck. I can do it myself but not one of my favorite tasks ?.

#4 ·
So I actually do all of my own wheel alignments. Pretty easy to do on your own. Here is exactly what I do.

Get yourself two jack stands and a roll of string.
  • Place the Jack stands in front of the car
  • Position the jack stand about mid wheel height ( so it is at the height of the middle of the wheel hub)
  • Tie the free end of the roll of string to one of the jack stands
  • The goal will be to make the string run from this first jack stand, down the length of the car to the rear tire, continuing around the back of the car to the other rear tire, then back to the front of the car where you positioned the other jack stand. Tie the other end of the string to the second jack stand.
  • Make sure the string is positioned half way up the wheel on all 4 wheels.
  • straighten out the front wheels and position the jack stands so that the string is contacting the face of the tires on both the back tires and the front tires.
  • IF your string is not contacting both the front and back surface of the front wheels, THAT IS OKAY! you are looking to have a 1/8th inch toe, meaning that the front of the front wheels are 1/8 inch closer to eachother than the back of the front tires.
  • Without moving your jack stands, adjust your tie rod sleeves until you have a 1/16th gap between the string and the front half of the front tire. ( 1/8 inch total between the two sides, keep it between 1/8 and 1/4 inch )

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.