Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've got a friend with a 1966 GTO, that would like some help from me working on his car. I know next to nothing about pontiac's and I was wondering if someone would be able to point me towards somewhere I could read up on his car. I'm hoping to find someplace that has information about what options were available and basic engine information about the car (stock compression, what is commonly done for power, and good sources for parts).

Thanks
cory

·
Registered
84 Posts
A 66 GTO is solidly in the classic range, so you want to be careful to make changes that won't hurt the value of the car. They came with a 389 cubic inch engine and there were several engine options available from tri-power on down depending on the trans and other options. Lots of rear end ratios were available as well. What do you have in mind for it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so I work with the guy and haven't seen the car yet for myself, but he just told me it's actually a Le Mans with the 327. I've worked on my little turbo 4-cylinder a lot before, but domestic engines are foriegn to me, where can I learn about some basics about this engine, like stock compression, stock carb, good ways to make reliable power, what other engines can I use parts from etc..

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but the only exposure I've had to these kinds of cars are Hot Rod magazine articles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts