Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my new GTO for a month. Always parked in the garage...always clean and detailed. I moved it into the street so the kids can shoot a few hoops in the driveway. Within minutes, a neighbor kid--riding a two-wheel bike for the first time ever--weebles and wobbles and uses my GTO to break his fall, as the handle bar creates a beautiful reminder of the incident along the entire side of my vehicle. AARRGGHHHHH. Off to the body/paint shop to assess the damage. Oh, like have time for this too. Did I say, "AAARRGGHHH!". :eek:

·
Registered
415 Posts
radioboy said:
I've had my new GTO for a month. Always parked in the garage...always clean and detailed. I moved it into the street so the kids can shoot a few hoops in the driveway. Within minutes, a neighbor kid--riding a two-wheel bike for the first time ever--weebles and wobbles and uses my GTO to break his fall, as the handle bar creates a beautiful reminder of the incident along the entire side of my vehicle. AARRGGHHHHH. Off to the body/paint shop to assess the damage. Oh, like have time for this too. Did I say, "AAARRGGHHH!". :eek:
Bummer man! Was it just clear coat damage? His parents might have
enough honor and dignity to take care of it for you...Maybe?:eek:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CPO's GTO said:
Bummer man! Was it just clear coat damage? His parents might have
enough honor and dignity to take care of it for you...Maybe?:eek:
Yeah, the parents were cool and offered to take care of it. We'll see. Could be $$$$$$ since the scratches went through the clearcoat and into the paint. I filled it in with some glaze & wax, but you can still see it and feel it with your fingernail. It'll require some surgery to fix it properly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

The panels will have to be repainted in order to restore the car to original condition. Estimates ranged from $860 at the dealer, to $1200 :eek: at very reputable high-end shop that I KNOW does fantastic work. They do tons of luxury brands and exotics.

Now, the interesting part: When I asked my sales rep for his opinion on the quality of the paint jobs coming out of his own dealership, he did not exactly give a ringing endorsement. He said the work he has seen appeared to be "satisfactory", and acceptable for most customers, but he steered me elsewhere (knowing I'm a car fanatic and want a first rate job).

The shop providing the higher estimate includes more labor time for the removal of trim, glass, & panels for painting, while the dealer shop's estimate did not account for this, intending to tape off what really should be removed.

Would you really be able to tell the difference? Has anyone here had more than "satisfactory" results with dealer repaint on their GTO???

·
Registered
188 Posts
radioboy said:
UPDATE:

The panels will have to be repainted in order to restore the car to original condition. Estimates ranged from $860 at the dealer, to $1200 :eek: at very reputable high-end shop that I KNOW does fantastic work. They do tons of luxury brands and exotics.

Now, the interesting part: When I asked my sales rep for his opinion on the quality of the paint jobs coming out of his own dealership, he did not exactly give a ringing endorsement. He said the work he has seen appeared to be "satisfactory", and acceptable for most customers, but he steered me elsewhere (knowing I'm a car fanatic and want a first rate job).

The shop providing the higher estimate includes more labor time for the removal of trim, glass, & panels for painting, while the dealer shop's estimate did not account for this, intending to tape off what really should be removed.

Would you really be able to tell the difference? Has anyone here had more than "satisfactory" results with dealer repaint on their GTO???
Get it done right. They should have some type of insurance (homeowner's, maybe?) to cover it anyway.

·
Registered
275 Posts
radioboy said:
UPDATE:

Where are you located? For some reason, I'm thinking you're in Dallas. If so, Sewell has a guy that does amazing work. He mainly works their Cadillac store (next door to Pontiac). Totally pleased with the work he did on mine with 140 miles on it. If you're here, PM me and I'll get you his name.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If you can get a great paint job for free, it's a shame the kid didn't wreck his bike all the way around the car, and then toss the bike and top and ride it over the trunk, top, & hood- - -

The original paint on these cars is pitifully thin and brittle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts