Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i just sign up on here and i have a question. im not familiar with gto values, although i have long been a fan of the gto. i just found a 66 gto listed locally and the guy has it listed for 4000 the body plate shows gto . it is a basket case but he claims to have all parts except the hood and fenders. i still need to check the vin but i was wondering what a correct value would be on the car. it does need quarter patches but he has them and floor pans but those come too. and he has the 389 from it and a muncie 4 speed not sure if that was original. any help is appreciated thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow ur good lol yep thats it im thinking you found the 2 other posts he listed since you saw the engine he told me he would email me tonight with more pics havent heard from him yet. i dont know if its been rebuilt it does look fresh though

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the engine was rebuilt and it does appear to have the major components tail lights grill dash seats look good i dont know about trim and such but it looks like a decent resto candidate just not sure about the value can anyone give me a numbers estimate? thanks just a ballpark starting offer

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
If the engine is fresh and the original to boot, the price is probably fair. Make sure it has a clean, hassle free title or that can get messy and expensive. I bought a basket case for $1500 but had to buy a frame first and full floor and trunk, engine, transmission along with all the missing pieces( it was a stripped shell). I have more than 4k in it already. Still waiting for a title too.:rolleyes:
I have a pair of 66 fenders here I was gonna offer for sale but since you're in CA already, you can find better parts than I have with no high dollar shipping. If you have the facility and ability to bring it back to life, go for it...:cheers

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no im in florida not CA but there are places i could find parts here im not familiar with gto's but are the 66 gto fenders the same as the lemans? i know the hood isnt. the engine was rebuilt 4 years ago and been sitting since. what does a car like this go for after a high quality amatuer restoration? i plan on bringing it as close to original as i can i did my chevelle at 16 and id classify it as a 3 footer. id expect this one to turn out better since ive learned more now

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Obviously the 91188 in your name isn't your zip code then....:eek:
The LeMans fenders will have a bunch of holes near the front for the louvers on that model. Look at some pics online and compare them, you'll see what I mean. The LeMans fenders will be easier to find but much more work to fill in all those holes without warping the metal. The Tempest fenders are the same as the GTO.
Value after resto..still hard to say. Is the engine the original or not. That makes a lot of difference on price. Right now decent 66 GTO's can be had for 15k on up. Top value would depend on the quality and originality of the build or in the other direction, resto-mod with modern brakes and suspension upgrades.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
If the engine has indeed been rebuilt the car is a good deal, I spent $3700 for my 389 rebuild 2 years ago. I have left fenders and a patch that I would like to get rid of if you are interested.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just spoke to him he said 3000 and its mine and its been in his family since 66! and he has almost all the parts its one of those once in a blue moon finds lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha the 91188 is my birthday lol im only 21. and yes original engine the only thing that isnt original is the m20 its a 69 model m20 but it was an original m20 car its a deal and a half im convinced im excited! :-D

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Well.........is it yours ?? Do you have pics ?? Curious minds need to know ...:eek:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha yes its mine now! :party: i picked up 2 fenders for 400 and a nose for 50 just need a hood and i have a steering column on the way! time to get rolling ill start a build thread once i get going!

Attachments

·
Registered
855 Posts
Man, I can remember when my looked like that. Try to set a time line to get done so you can start enjoying it. My time frame was 1 year and I almost made it (14 months) GOOD LUCK

1 - 16 of 16 Posts