Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks!

I'm a long-time GTO admirer, but never owned one, and also new to this site.

I've been into Camaros and Chevelles forever and know them fairly well, but I have a lot to learn on GTOs and Pontiacs in general.

I'm looking at buying my good friend's '67 GTO convertible (Cameo Ivory, black top, black interior) that his health is kinda forcing him away from completing it.

He's had it for a few years now and has made terrific progress on it, but now I have the oppurtunity to buy it from him. It sure does seem like it still has the original engine, trans, and rear, but can't be 100% on it.

Did Pontiac have vin or partial vins stamped onto the engine somewhere and trans?

I went and looked at the car last night and it's all disassembled, and the engine is very crusty (caked on oil) however, I was able to make out these #'s on the pad on the passenger side on the front of the block...

068755 ( is this engine production sequence? - not vin, right?)
WS (should be 360hp 400 with manual trans, right?)

Until further cleaning I dont' see any other numbers on the block. I'll have to get the pics off the single Quadrajet and post some pics soon.

The Muncie 4spd. trans is equally crusty and I did find a number P7P29 stamped vertically on the RH side at the very rear of the main case. Again I'll have to further clean it to find what other #'s are there.

So did Pontiac stamp vins on engines and tranny's for 67 GTO's? If so where to look?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
That was long about the time Pontiac started putting vin stamps on blocks. It may have started in model year 1968 --- if it's there, it'll be down low on that same pad on the front of the block, running along side the timing cover.

Another thing to check is the 4 character date stamp, which will be on the top rear of the block next to the distributor. This will be a cast (raised) code, one alpha followed by 3 numerics. The alpha is the month, next two digits are the day, last digit is the year. The foundry would start casting blocks for the next model year in around June or July, so depending on the month you might see either a 6 or a 7 as the last digit for model year 1967. WS would be correct for a 67 4-speed car, but since those 2 character codes were used in more than one model year (and sometimes meant different things) you've got to id the model year to be sure.

(And yeah, 068755 is the engine build sequence and doesn't relate to the vin, although the PHS doc package might have that info)

welcome!

Bear

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much Bear! I'll go out to see it again tomorrow night after work taking plenty of degreaser and rags with me.

I did order up the packet from PHS on the car, and I'm excited to see it come!

Here's a few quick pics of the engine that I took last night, they aren't the best but you can clearly see the WS on the "pad".

I'll take more (of the entire car) tomorrow night.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
Welcome aboard, Dano!
That car (7027263) the correct for a 67 GTO with a manual transmission.
The date code is stamped on the main body of the carb, on the driver's side. I believe it will be a 3-digit number, indicating the "Julian" date on which the carb was produced.

Looks like it might be the original engine; you'll be able to tell when you get your PHS docs; the engine number should be on the shipping manifest.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I finally got this GTO. According to my PHS packet, it's the real deal...#'s matching 360 horse 400, 4 speed convertible.

My buddy whom I bought it from used to run a small body shop, but is hanging it up due to health reasons. He did the dissassy and started doing some of the sheet metal work (which suprisingly the car is in pretty good shape in comparison to the usual projects found here in PA.) He's gonna let me keep the GTO in his shop so I can work on it over the winter months which is great. I'm simply out of room in my private 3 car garage, haha. I probably won't get around to working on it until around November or at least until I get to a good stopping point on my 69 Camaro.

Here's a few more pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 67 H.O. 4 Speed Contvertible Restoration

Today is day one for my restoration project!

Finally started the process where the former owner left off. It was already disassembled and mounted on the rotisserie. I simply got the area around the car cleaned up and organized and then started scaping the underside of the floor boards to see were the metal will need fixed.

Pics...to follow once I get them off my camera onto the computer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
There are some areas of rust, but it survived fairly well. Especially sitting outside and full of pine needles. Believe me I've fixed worse cars than this one.

I'll see if the previous ower (who I bought it from) has any pics of when he drug it out of the mud and brought it home.

Here are a few more pics of some of the areas up close...

It'll need lower 1/4's and trunk extensions from both rust and it being banged up some.

It'll need some trunk floor patches where the corner bracing is and were the spare tire bracket is.

It'll also need some various patch work here and there on the floor, but the floors are solid overall.

The cowl on the driver's side were the windshield channel is will need some work, looks like the windshield started leaking at some point and got some water in that area, but really isn't that bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
some more pics...

The rear channel for the top is in good shape, and so are the rear floor boards. I'm gonna try to get the front floors and toe boards cleaned up tonight to see what they're like on the inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The previous owner already drilled out the spot welds that hold the cowl side on the cowl so he could clean out and fix any rusted metal on that driver's side. Surprisingly it's all pretty darn good! It looks like the factory coating was just starting to give up though.

And only one hole (so far...lol) on the windshield frame. We'll see what she'll look like after I get it cleaned off.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys,

Just a quick update...I'm been working on this car a little bit mostly every evening after my day job. I have the trunk extensions cut off and I've been repairing the trunk floor under the body brace. I have the new drop offs and 1/4 patches fitted on the one side and once I get my new body braces (hopefully the big-brown truck has stopped by today) I'll be able to do the final fit and tack everything together.

I've decided to replace (unfortunately) some of the floor sections in the front where your feet go. This is around the drain plugs. When I completed my wire wheeling on the inside, I found heavier pitting and uncovered a few more small holes.

Since I don't mind the work, and I've done many pans before, I'd rather have new sheet metal in those thinner areas than a problem years down the road potentially forcing to replace them anyway after the car is done.

I'll get some pics off my camera in a few days or so to show you the progress.

Well, lunch break is almost over...later!

-Dan

·
Registered
22 Posts
I picked up a 67 convertible # matching car this summer myself, was in storage since 89 I have my work cut out for me. I bought the Pontiac GTO 1964-1972 Restoration Guide by Paul Zazarine and Chuck Robert has a ton of information. Good luck

1 - 20 of 30 Posts