Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 68 gto with the hideaways. All new lines and actuators. Original headlight switch. When I pull out the headlight switch to turn on the headlights one side opens completely then the other side opens completely. When I push the switch back in, one side closes then the other. I have switched lines and actuators but the same thing happens.
It seems that there isn't enough vacuum to do both at once. Any thoughts or help appreciated.
Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Hello,
I have a 68 gto with the hideaways. All new lines and actuators. Original headlight switch. When I pull out the headlight switch to turn on the headlights one side opens completely then the other side opens completely. When I push the switch back in, one side closes then the other. I have switched lines and actuators but the same thing happens.
It seems that there isn't enough vacuum to do both at once. Any thoughts or help appreciated.
Thanks, Tony
No expert on this at all, but I have seen the drawings of the system. It has a vacuum tank/cannister. You may be missing this?

The other things to check would be any binding and make sure you have all the springs installed in the correct manner. Here is a website that has both the vacuum line diagram and mechanical parts of the system. Just click on them to open the PDF. Delaware Valley Old Goat Club

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have the canister. Doesn't seem to be any binding. I'll look for a leak somewhere. They work but not at the same time.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I would look for a restriction in one of the hoses on the slow side.... maybe even a vacuum gauge
plugged into the end of the slow actuator hoses ....
pull the slow hose apart at the plastic splitters...
make sure the holes are nice n open in the fitting
look for a pinched hose on the slow side ... blow it out with compressed air ?
is your over center spring adjusted too tight ?
compare vacuum readings from fast one to slow one ...

swap the actuators side to side ..

un hook the lever arm to the hieaway and run just the actuators by them selves and check them for timing

Scott

then go for a drive to get fuel because it just idled for 1/2 an hour while you were testing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts