Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a paint that they have used, that has held up on high heat areas?
I am referring to the block, heads, and intake.
I am looking for a High heat paint preferably in spray cans.
thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ive always used the duplicolor engine enamel they sell at oreiley's on my projects. Havent had any complaints here.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have used OER, VHT and VHT Flameproof as well as duplicolor engine enamel. All with good results. No paint is gonna last forever :-(

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
I used Eastwoods ceramic engine paint. Big mistake many make is to pile on the paint on the manifolds and intake exhaust ports. Mine included :( My paint turned a goldish color and wore off to the cast color and it blends in.

Secret I am told is to lightly apply the paint to those areas. If you drive your car like I do the paint will burn off.

When I purchased my car I scraped loose paint off and cleaned well with brake cleaner masked and rattle canned the engine with dupicolor's correct medium blue: 500 degree paint. It held up pretty good over top the old paint.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I recently redid my '65 using POR-15 engine paint. It doesn't come in a spray can, but is easy to brush on and doesn't leave any brush strokes.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
your head exhaust runners will discolor if you like to drive it, our motors are too MEAN for paint....:D Really think it is the metallic color as you would not notice if they were carousel red (hugger orange to a chevy guy).

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
The hot tip seems to be to paint the exhaust port area with a super high heat silver stove paint, and then mist the engine color over it. This will last about 500 miles or so. Me, I never bothered. Just Krylon in a can, and it burns off int he first 500 miles or so anyway....and the rest of the engine looks great for years and years. Burnt paint on the exhaust ports is like rubber powder in the rear wheel wells ...it's a sign that you actually DRIVE your Pontiac!!

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
:agree That nice golden brown color on the exhaust ports is a direct result of all the little paint molecules being frightened out of their wits due to being forced to live so close to the T-rex of Torque :eek: with the predictable result of them dropping tiny little paint-loads in their tiny little paint-pants. :D

Bear

1 - 12 of 12 Posts