Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Great, it never ends, I was driving through the neighborhood today when I heard a clink clink sound as I hit the gas a little and when I got out of the car I found the hood latch on the side of the road. Now I can't open my hood and my idle is too low, how the hell do I get this thing back on.

It's a 1969 by the way, and the latch was in the front of the car right under the nose in the center.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Is your hood partially open in the front so you can at least get your fingers under the hood(in the center)?

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
What and where exactly is the (a) safety latch?
When you normally open your hood, you first pull the latch to get the hood to 'pop' up. Then you reach your fingers under the hood to release the safety latch. It's there under the hood, if you've ever opened your hood before, you've already used it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I don't have the configuration. I pull the arm and the hood pops, then I have to pull and hold the arm while opening the hood to bypass the lock.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Yeah I don't have the configuration. I pull the arm and the hood pops, then I have to pull and hold the arm while opening the hood to bypass the lock.
As long as you have to do it twice, then you are doing the safety latch. It's the second time you pull and hold the arm while opening, that's the safety latch. The first is the main latch, the second the safety latch.
So now if the main latch fell off, then you no longer have to pull the arm to get it to 'pop' up?

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
For what it's worth, my '68 doesn't have a safety latch nor does my buddies '68. I looked around and I don't see where one would even mount up unless it was part of the main latch.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I wonder if it's been swapped out at one point with a different latch. Just by looking at everything, that's the only way a safety latch would work. But as it stands, I only have to pull the handle once... The rod goes straight down thru the valance. I did notice, awhile back, that my buddies handle comes out right underneath the bumper above the valance. Mine's probably been altered at one point.... Guess I never really thought about until this thread got started......

·
Registered
11 Posts
You guys have had me under the hood so many times this week...:rolleyes:

I have a 68, evidently it has only one hood release, but with a two part latch.
My latch has a release on the left side and another along the top right side, both within the hood latch release unit. If I don't give the release lever a good yank, I have to close the hood and start over, since there is no under hood release to pull.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
I'm sure your goat appreciates all the attention.:) My release must have been changed somewhere down the line. Thanks for the verification.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Looking at the GTO restoration guide it is not clear at all for `68. If it's anything like the `70, the safety latch is part of the main latch. The main latch is on the pass side and the safety latch is on the drivers side of the latch assembly. It's a two stage latch. Just happen to be working on a real sweet `70 LeMans today to verify that. :cheers

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Judging by what I'm seeing on my car, that's exactly(and the only way that I can tell) how it should work. I looked in OPG's catalog, they list a latch for '68 - '70. Yet, I look at their website and they only list it for '70 and nothing for '68/'69. Go figure! Sounds like from what you're saying it should work. '65 - '67 is completely different. Thanks for the update.. Enjoy working on the Leman's.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts