Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opening the hood on my 69 has always been a problem. Sometimes it pops but doesn't come up high enough to get my fingers in there. Sometimes I could pop and close a dozen times then finally it would lift high enough to pull the release again and lift the hood. Sometimes I could pop it and have someone push down a bit to release the pressure on the latch and a second pull would open it. The problem seems to be more the secondary which is a safety release. I decided to replace the latch. BUT..... ALL of the aftermarket replacement latches have a problem. The release lever on the latch on my original latch attaches though a hole on the PASSENGER side of the release arm. ALL of the aftermarket ones have that larger hole on the DRIVER side of the release arm. Why not just attach the pull lever to the DRIVER side? Because the guide that the release lever goes through at the bottom of the back of the grill keeps the release lever from going into the release arm on the latch on the DRIVER side. The release lever has to go in straight because the end of the lever has a small tip that has to fit into the smaller hole on the latch lever. One of the popular aftermarket suppliers told me that they had sold 30 of them and they were all returned with the buyer saying it wouldn't work without giving them any details of why it wouldn't work. Now they know why. To use the aftermarket latch, SOMETHING has to be modified. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. My neighbor is restoring a 69 GTO so first I'll go and see if he has had a similar issue. Has anybody here had to deal with this. I know the 68 and 69 models have a reputation for hood opening issues. This is the second 69 I have owned but the first one with this problem.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Sometimes I could pop it and have someone push down a bit to release the pressure on the latch and a second pull would open it

this is the way 90% of my 68 9's open

I have nice original latches if you need one ,,,, Maybe the spring is bent too flat
I have bent a couple to help the hood pop
are your hood springs lubed ?

Never seen a repoop in hand.. to see the differences
Ive always had good originals around from parts cars for replacements

Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check the hood springs to see if they are lubed. I didn't think about it being restricted on that end of the hood. I'll see. It just seems like on the second pull, the safety release doesn't want to let go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check the hood springs to see if they are lubed. I didn't think about it being restricted on that end of the hood. I'll see. It just seems like on the second pull, the safety release doesn't want to let go.
The spring that is next to the latch seems like it has enough tension to lift it, but maybe I need a new one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the same issue with my 68. I pulled up the spring to slightly bend the rods that are parallel to the radiator support. This seemed to help.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
they are that way
pop once ... release the pull handle ... even push it in a bit if it will
then
push down on the hood 1/4"
then
pull the handle again and lift the hood ...........
lube the hinges not the springs .. if your hood moves smoothly
I probably wouldnt lube em ... as the oil spray leaves a mess
over by the fender side in the corner you can get your finger in there,,,

the latch adjusts also BUT be carefull and move it the right way

·
Registered
11 Posts
Opening the hood on my 69 has always been a problem. Sometimes it pops but doesn't come up high enough to get my fingers in there. Sometimes I could pop and close a dozen times then finally it would lift high enough to pull the release again and lift the hood. Sometimes I could pop it and have someone push down a bit to release the pressure on the latch and a second pull would open it. The problem seems to be more the secondary which is a safety release. I decided to replace the latch. BUT..... ALL of the aftermarket replacement latches have a problem. The release lever on the latch on my original latch attaches though a hole on the PASSENGER side of the release arm. ALL of the aftermarket ones have that larger hole on the DRIVER side of the release arm. Why not just attach the pull lever to the DRIVER side? Because the guide that the release lever goes through at the bottom of the back of the grill keeps the release lever from going into the release arm on the latch on the DRIVER side. The release lever has to go in straight because the end of the lever has a small tip that has to fit into the smaller hole on the latch lever. One of the popular aftermarket suppliers told me that they had sold 30 of them and they were all returned with the buyer saying it wouldn't work without giving them any details of why it wouldn't work. Now they know why. To use the aftermarket latch, SOMETHING has to be modified. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. My neighbor is restoring a 69 GTO so first I'll go and see if he has had a similar issue. Has anybody here had to deal with this. I know the 68 and 69 models have a reputation for hood opening issues. This is the second 69 I have owned but the first one with this problem.
I have the same issue with my 69 GTO. Not sure why they reproduced them like that. Your right a modification has to be made. Anyone else come up with a fix?

·
Premium Member
872 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great Thanks that helps a lot!
What I ended up doing was to remove the latch, sprayed it down a few times with Aerokroil which removed all old gunk. The latched looked brand new. Then I lightly lubed the latch with oil. I set and released the latch several times and found it to be working perfectly. Mounted it back on the '69 GTO. Lowered the hood to the latch and carefully aligned the latch with the hood where it locks in. I closed the hood and the hood popped but not enough to open it. So I still had the problem but now I knew it wasn't the fault of the latch itself. I took a small wooden dowel rod to the corner of the hood next to the bumper on the driver's side and I was able to lift the hood to where it is supposed to be to do the push down and release with the second pull. It released perfectly. So I moved the latch slightly. tried it again, this time it popped correctly. So the problem is that the three bolt latch HAS to be in an EXACT spot, left to right matters and front to back matters. It is all about the latch positioning. It's not easy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The difference is the release handle attachment bracket is different between the 68/69 and 70 hood latches. And guess which one is reproduced? While all three years interchange, the 70 bracket is the one thats reproduced.
Ames notes this in their online catalog and sells the correct retaining clip to make the 70 hood latch work for the 68/69.

Thanks,

I have attached some pictures, is that the right retaining clip? Also see the new latch, the small hole is where the correct 69 hood release rod goes into (which it doesn't) should be big hole on that side like original part. So that hole has to be drilled bigger and then use retaining clip? Wondering if anyone has modified new hood latch?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
I don't have that information unfortunately, but comparing the latch to my original 68 the holes are reversed. The clip looks like my original too.
Have you called Ames to ask how they do it?
Hopefully someone with a 70 can verify the hole arrangement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks,

I have attached some pictures, is that the right retaining clip? Also see the new latch, the small hole is where the correct 69 hood release rod goes into (which it doesn't) should be big hole on that side like original part. So that hole has to be drilled bigger and then use retaining clip? Wondering if anyone has modified new hood latch?

·
Registered
4 Posts
ALL of the aftermarket latches have the holes on the wrong side. They all know that it is wrong because most of the are returned to them. It is best to find an original one. I don't know any way to modify the aftermarket latch thought it may be do-able to modify the bracket that the pull arm goes through before the latch. Keep in mind that the path trough that bracket to the latch has to be a straight line. The little aftermarket retainer clip exactly correct and way over priced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts