Votes: 21 60.0%
  • OTHER

Votes: 2 5.7%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have $1000 to blow on an appearence mod for the car. Should I get a new hood? If so which one? Or should I get new wheels first? I am leaning towards the hood. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
194 Posts
For that much money, you can get a hood that is matte black. It still will require a few hundred dollars in prepping and finishing. Wheels on the other hand are quite pricey and don't forget how much another set of tires will be. I am thinking for around $1300 you could have a new hood to fit you vehicle. Either way you will be happy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you can find them, I would highly recommend the ATS Comp. Light 17" wheels. They are being clearenced all over (I called at www.tires.com) and you should be able to get them for around $125 - $175 a wheel depending on desired finish.

they look great, but the real catch is their weight. The GTO's stock 17's weigh in at 26 lbs a piece. The ATS wheels are 16 lbs a piece. That is 10 pounds lighter per wheel!!! If you know a bit about physics, rotational mass, drivetrain internal resistance etc, you quickly see that these particular wheels look cool and actually DO make your car go faster. (note: most aftermarket wheels are nearly the same weight, if not more weight than, the stock wheels.)

Just my $02.

·
Registered
161 Posts
For $1000 you will not be able to put a banchee hood on the car. The hood will run about 750 from the dealer and you will still need the install and paint to be done. The install should be easy as the hood comes with little prep needed and in the cases I know about fits well. Depending on who does your install you will still be looking at 500 for install and paint. The banchee hood is a start on weight reduction and a true ram air hood that works well with a CAI.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
twolf said:
If you can find them, I would highly recommend the ATS Comp. Light 17" wheels. They are being clearenced all over (I called at www.tires.com) and you should be able to get them for around $125 - $175 a wheel depending on desired finish.

they look great, but the real catch is their weight. The GTO's stock 17's weigh in at 26 lbs a piece. The ATS wheels are 16 lbs a piece. That is 10 pounds lighter per wheel!!! If you know a bit about physics, rotational mass, drivetrain internal resistance etc, you quickly see that these particular wheels look cool and actually DO make your car go faster. (note: most aftermarket wheels are nearly the same weight, if not more weight than, the stock wheels.)

Just my $02.
twolf

Do you have a picture of your car with the ATS wheels? Curious as to what they look like on. Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ArmyRctr04GTO,
I tried to post a pic for you.
I am unable to attach images to my posts. I have an attchment limit of 0kb so I guess I'm not special enough yet to be able to upload jpgs.

I can email it to you if you like?

EDIT/UPDATE
I was able to add it to the Gallery under NEW 2004 GTO wheels and tires.
See if it shows up there for ya.

G

·
For $1000 you best off with a CAI from Lingenfelter at $299 on sale and a CORSA or BORLA exhaust from TBYRNE. Your car will gain some decent horsepower, it will sound so good people will ask themselves what car is that going by. You do not need a new hood. The 04' is an european look car. What you can do is put two racing stripes all the way from bumper to bumper, wheel graffics from autotrimdesign and you all set to be heard, be seen, and kick some ass.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.