Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
They're costmetic.

They have rubber plugs in them that allow some air in, but not much (the vents in the plugs face backwards so the scoops don't injest rain...I guess). However, the plugs are easy to pop out (that's what I've done). Even so, it will only marginally improve performance by cooling the engine (it's not plumbed into the intake circuit). To be honest, I don't know if this improvement is documentable or noticeable.

Personally, I would rather have the '04 hood without the scoops. If they were functional, it would be cool. Considering they're not, I would just rather have them gone.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
SJAndrew said:
They're costmetic.

They have rubber plugs in them that allow some air in, but not much (the vents in the plugs face backwards so the scoops don't injest rain...I guess). However, the plugs are easy to pop out (that's what I've done). Even so, it will only marginally improve performance by cooling the engine (it's not plumbed into the intake circuit). To be honest, I don't know if this improvement is documentable or noticeable.

Personally, I would rather have the '04 hood without the scoops. If they were functional, it would be cool. Considering they're not, I would just rather have them gone.
Agreed, the non-functional er....styling of the hood detracts from the credibility of a good car. Likewise with the plastic wing on the trunk lid.

All the plastic says "just another tarted up Pontiac from GM". Performance through polymers. Porsche, BMW, and Ferrari don't have this problem.

The basic Monaro/GTO lines are also ruined by all the plastic. I bought an 05 because of the engine, brake, exhaust upgrades but I wish it came without all the tacked on plastic.

With more tasteful styling and a different marketing approach, Pontiac could have reached a totally different audience and possibly not been forced to dump these cars at steep discounts.

·
Registered
569 Posts
With the blower on my car, it was HOT under the hood- you could feel it just blow out when you'd open it. I removed the plugs and pulled the weather strip off the back edge (cowl) and it is a night and day difference- after a long highway drive, I opened the hood and it was nothing like it was with them in tact. I'm not concerned with any hard numbers or a long drawn out research project comparing before and after, I just know there was a big difference and that's good enough for me :).
Joe

·
Registered
98 Posts
I modified the plugs. I pulled them out and cut air holes in the front of them that face the vents. I also cut the fins off the top of them so they pull more air in. I tried it with them out totally, but it just looked like something was missing when I had the hood open.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Plugs

I took my plugs off and the only performance I noticed was when traveling at speeds over 50 mph ,that's when the air comes in at high velocity and cools down the center top of the engine acting as an air intercooler.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Nearly 8 year old thread...........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.