Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my GTO for over 3 weeks and love it... I still miss my C5, but to be honest, this car is almost more fun to drive. Anyway, I have noticed that my hood scoops have a rubber piece to block air from getting into the engine compartment. It seems these pull right out. I was just wondering if everybody has pulled them out or just leave them in so the engine compartment doesn't get so dirty?

:cheers

·
Registered
140 Posts
Most just leave them in. Could be useful to dissapate heat from under hood on hot dry days. Haven't seen any thing from GM technical about running with them removed.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
I've had mine out for about 6 months or so. Sure the engine compartment gets a little dirty but not as much as you would think. As a matter of fact I just popped the hood today to clean the engine. And after the last cleaning, about a couple of months ago, all I had to do was a light wiping and brushing. I use a 2 inch wide paint brush for brushing all the areas with annoying cracks and crevices.

·
Registered
585 Posts
SpaceCoast said:
I have had my GTO for over 3 weeks and love it... I still miss my C5, but to be honest, this car is almost more fun to drive. Anyway, I have noticed that my hood scoops have a rubber piece to block air from getting into the engine compartment. It seems these pull right out. I was just wondering if everybody has pulled them out or just leave them in so the engine compartment doesn't get so dirty?

:cheers
Ah, take them out and realize that there are long holes facing backward. I suppose that is to keep rain and small birds out, but I just cut the tops off and left them in. I get more air into the engine compartment. That is a good thing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Right, there are slots facing backwards that allow air to come in. Grab the front edge, push in and down and they pop right out. I also keep them in the trunk in case of rain. Benefit? I have looked at the engine temp with them in and with them removed and have found no appreciable difference in temp between the two.

I have noticed a louder acceleration noise with them removed though...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.