Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 69 with a hood tach, is there supposed to be anything between the underside of the tach and the hood when you attach it? Wasn't sure if there's supposed to be a gasket or seal of any kind there. Thank you

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
On a 69 with a hood tach, is there supposed to be anything between the underside of the tach and the hood when you attach it? Wasn't sure if there's supposed to be a gasket or seal of any kind there. Thank you
No. A gasket was not used. The gasket Goat Roper cited is only for 1967. 1968-1971 did not use a gasket. However, the 1968-69 tach design was prone to fogging of the lense from moisture. If it got real bad, the fix was to remove, dry out the lense/tach, re-install and use windshield sealer around the edge to seal it to the hood. In 1970, they corrected this with a vacuum line and filter attached to the tach and firwall that allowed the tach to "breathe" and not fog up. Never saw one of these myself.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Odd that Ames lists it for 1968-72 and no mention of 67.
Yep, kinda odd. I had to read the comments. Last line says it all. I also looked through my restoration books to verify that there was no seal. They list all the parts and no seal is listed or shown.

Here is Ames : 1968-72 HOOD TACH GASKET (AP)
Net Comments THIS WILL WORK ON ORIGINAL AND D142C, D142F, D144C, AND D144F TACHS. MAY NEED TRIMMING IF USING ON OTHER REPRODUCTION TACHS. THIS GASKET IS USED BETWEEN THE HOOD TACH AND HOOD. THESE WERE ORIGINALLY USED BY GM IN 1967, BUT NOT ON 1968-71. QUALITY IS EXCELLENT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts