Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I appreiciate the great advice I always receive here. I have a new problem. My 68 GTO 400, starts up just fine when the engine is cold. I can drive it around for 30 minutes or so and kill it, then it will not start back. It just clicks like the battery is too low. It has a new battery, alternator, voltage reg, and starter. Once I let it set for and hour or so I will start right up. It runs great when I am driving it, I just cant kill it unless I want to wait awhile. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Sounds like the infamous Pontiac hot starter problem to me. The starter and solenoid are very close to the exhaust system and they're getting heat soaked, maybe even the battery cable going to the starter. When all that stuff gets good 'n hot their electical characteristics change to the point where the battery can't supply enough grunt to operate them. There are quite a few "solutions" out there. You could probably find most of them by searching the various messages threads on here.

Bear

·
Registered
686 Posts
A remote solenoid is the easiest and most popular. As I bite down on my tongue, get a ford solenoid and wire it in line to the gm solenoid. There are a couple of ways to wire it tho.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
likethat is correct, though the stock system in excellent shape will not have any issues, either. I used to have this problem in my '67 until I bit the bullet and addressed the deteriorated wiring. You have a high resistance problem, and the heat is making it evident. You can bypass the problem with an upgraded system as illustrated above, or fix/replace the original wiring. I don't even need a heat shield on my solenoid anymore. And it gets HOT where I live, for long periods of time. Oddly enough, I've never had this problem with stickshift GTO's....only automatic cars that couldn't be bump started!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts