Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 65 had station wagon springs with spacer clips which I took out and as expected the rear end sags down.
In order to get a little lift should i go with Ames standard coil springs and add a 1" spacer plate or buy a set from Eaton Detroit Springs that claims to offer 1", 1.5" or 2" lift above standard?
I was told the standard factory GTO rear coil springs set the rear end below the level position, what ever level is?
I'd like a little lift 1-2 ", but not to make it look odd.
Plus, I'm not in favor of stiff coils giving one a rough ride; either. It has HD shocks now.
Any suggestions on how and where to buy rear coils?
Thanks everyone-Greg

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've started a thread with pics in it, I'll try and link it. AC part# 45H2005 are absolutely perfect in my '66. Got them at Rockauto.com. Other retailers sell them, but when I bought them (feb 2020) they were under $50 at Rock.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've started a thread with pics in it, I'll try and link it. AC part# 45H2005 are absolutely perfect in my '66. Got them at Rockauto.com. Other retailers sell them, but when I bought them (feb 2020) they were under $50 at Rock.
I have been looking for 4 months since someone posted a thread about the same thing. I cross referenced every part number trying to find them with no luck. I placed a back order through Summit and after 2.5 months , they refunded my money. Three days ago, I found a set through Rockauto.com, (even though I looked there before, they didn't have any at the time). The ONLY brand I could find on there 3 days ago for a '65 Tempest wagon (which I ordered) was........
1965 PONTIAC TEMPEST 5.3L 326cid V8
LESJÖFORS​
4412101Coil Spring
$ 63.79​
$ 0.00​
1​
$ 63.79​

·
Registered
1967 400/400
722 Posts
I just completely rebuilt my 67 suspension:
  1. UMI, stock-height coil springs, front and rear.
  2. 1.5 spacers out back, or yes, it will be lower/ barely level.
  3. Bilstein shocks all around.
  4. Global West Upper and Lower arms in front.
  5. Global West Upper and Lower arms in the rear.
  6. Global West Rear frame supports.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
722 Posts
Many of the problems with these parts all being backordered, is that they're all coming from overseas, and so the pandemic is stopping them in their tracks. It's been tough to get ANY classic car reproduction parts, for every model, for well over a year now. It's not just classic car parts... Holley has no carburetors, B&M has no trans pans, Hurst has no shifters.

However, the made in America stuff is all still readily available, because it's made here, from USA materials. But... you definitely have to spend more to get it. My Global West suspension was probably 3-4 times more expensive... but, it's for a 67 GTO, which is going 125 MPH with my ass in it, so, I'm okay with it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My 65 had station wagon springs with spacer clips which I took out and as expected the rear end sags down.
In order to get a little lift should i go with Ames standard coil springs and add a 1" spacer plate or buy a set from Eaton Detroit Springs that claims to offer 1", 1.5" or 2" lift above standard?
I was told the standard factory GTO rear coil springs set the rear end below the level position, what ever level is?
I'd like a little lift 1-2 ", but not to make it look odd.
Plus, I'm not in favor of stiff coils giving one a rough ride; either. It has HD shocks now.
Any suggestions on how and where to buy rear coils?
Thanks everyone-Greg
I just put 1" drop springs in my '66 and have the springs that were previously installed (2 months ago with only 30 miles on them) FS. These are stock ride height and are 15.5" uninstalled. Here is a pic of what those looked like on my car with 17" rims and 275/40/17 tires. LMK if interested, you can have em cheap!

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
The wife decided I am going the lowering route instead of going up. Of coarse I just received the '65 Tempest wagon springs today from Rockauto (see my above comment) and will not be using them. $55 + the ride. If not, up on the shelf they will go with the rest of the unused parts!
1965 PONTIAC TEMPEST 5.3L 326cid V8
LESJÖFORS4412101Coil Spring$ 63.79$ 0.001$ 63.79

1 - 10 of 10 Posts