Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in the PR department for a major Arizona grocery chain, Bashas'. We're the title sponsor of the Bashas' 200 Busch-series race that will take place at Phoenix International Raceway on Friday night, April 21st. I just found out yesterday that I GET TO WAVE THE GREEN FLAG to start the race! How cool is that?

So if you're watching the race and the dork waving the flag falls out of the flagstand onto the track, well, that'd be me.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kilboy said:
Thats one kick a$$ work perk.
Tell me about it! On account of our NASCAR involvement over the past few years (our company also sets up the tent store that sells groceries to all the RV-ers camped out all week long), I've gotten to do some cool stuff. I got to go to the Richard Petty Driving Experience at PIR a couple years ago, and I routinely get suite passes and pit passes. And because the rest of our PR department is women who pay no attention to racing whatsoever, I end up being Mr. Racing for any print, radio and TV stuff related to our sponsorship.

The irony is that I'm an open-wheel guy (Champ Car and IRL, PLEASE get back together!), not a stock car fan. But I've had to learn about all this good ol' boy stuff so I can talk knowledgeably about it to the media. Fun.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
707GTOLS2 said:
Nice Bro!!:cheers
So do the Busch Series Pit Crews still say they're faster than the Nextel cup Pit Crews?
Ha. Maybe I'll ask when I'm at the track tonight. PIR is debuting a restaurant/club deal called "Octane," and I get to go to its premiere. I'm told there may be some race drivers there, and that they'll have the track all lit up so that we can go for rides in two-seater race cars.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GTODEALER said:
You'll be fine man, don't drop the flag!!!:D

Crap. Now I'm going to fixate! :lol:

Oh--I found out that I also get to go to the pre-race driver's meeting and tell the assembled Busch drivers how happy my company is to sponsor the race, to be safe, blah blah blah. And there's a chance I'll also get appointed to hand the winner his trophy, although one of the senior execs may choose to upstage me on that one. We'll see.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
GM Kid said:
Crap. Now I'm going to fixate! :lol:

Oh--I found out that I also get to go to the pre-race driver's meeting and tell the assembled Busch drivers how happy my company is to sponsor the race, to be safe, blah blah blah. And there's a chance I'll also get appointed to hand the winner his trophy, although one of the senior execs may choose to upstage me on that one. We'll see.
Sweet!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds awesome...

Alright so I will tune in at 6 for the start of the race to see if I see U drop the flag...then I will tune in again at the end to see if U hand anyone a trophy...so what time does this race end???

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kilboy said:
Sounds awesome...

Alright so I will tune in at 6 for the start of the race to see if I see U drop the flag...then I will tune in again at the end to see if U hand anyone a trophy...so what time does this race end???
You're assuming the race actually gets underway! Ha.

It's a 200-lap race around a one-mile oval. Shouldn't take more than a couple hours, provided there aren't gobs of crashes (how unfortunate that the name of my employer rhymes with that word).

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well, I'm told I was invisible on TV. The flag showed, but the regular flagman was standing next to me and all you could see was him. Still, I had a blast! Didn't drop the flag and the race actually started.

They let me stay in the flagstand for several laps, which was awesome. When the cars passed under me, it was like looking into a blender and watching the ingredients for a smoothie all stirring together--just a blur of color, with one car indistinguishable from the next. And then the wall of air hit (and pieces of rubber and dirt and all sorts of junk). The guys told me to take my hat off so I wouldn't lose it, and I'm glad I did (although my employer wanted me to wear it, as it had our logo on it).

Later, I got to be in the winner's circle when we presented Kevin Harvick his trophy. That was cool. Two of my co-workers stood with me.

It was so awesome being shuffled around by track "handlers" like royalty. I went everywhere in a golf cart and had access to just about everything. Then I went back last night for the Cup race and had even more fun (because this time I was just spectating). Courtesy of General Mills (a company with which my grocery employer does much business), Richard Petty and Bobby Labonte came to our suite and did some autographs. Later, two gals from General Mills took my buddy and me into the infield with "hot passes" and we stood in the Cheerios pit for about 100 laps. We stood right there during two pit stops. Fantastic.

At one point, one of the General Mills gals looked at me and asked, "Want some hot lugnuts?" (Yes, that probably is the weirdest question anyone's ever asked me.) She went to a crew member, who walked over and handed me six scalding lugnuts wrapped in a paper towel.

So I didn't turn into a celebrity, but I had a good time. Sorry I wasn't more visible. The track took a bunch of photos, though, so if I get 'em, I'll share.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.