Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Let me get this straight...you have a brand new GTO and you want to know how to burn out, smoke the tires, leave long black marks down the road etc., right? I can't tell you how to do that but I am waiting to hear all the responses you get so I might be able to see why anyone wants to do this. I've had everything from an 1970 Chevelle SS LS6 to my current 05 GTO and have never felt the need to melt the rubber of my tires.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dad's 05 GTO said:
Let me get this straight...you have a brand new GTO and you want to know how to burn out, smoke the tires, leave long black marks down the road etc., right? I can't tell you how to do that but I am waiting to hear all the responses you get so I might be able to see why anyone wants to do this. I've had everything from an 1970 Chevelle SS LS6 to my current 05 GTO and have never felt the need to melt the rubber of my tires.
You have way too much restraint to not have burnt tires in over 35 years! I used to burn mine off (all 8 cyl cars since I was 17, now 33), but since getting the GTO I burn them maybe once in a blue moon. Enough $ donated to the police dept and you eventually learn...

For the original poster, with the clutch in rev her up just a few hundred RPM's and then dump the clutch. Proceed to extend your right foot away from you until it can go no further. Then smile and hold on :D

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Bagpiper said:
Hello everyone. I just bought my 06 6 speed and am trying to learn the best way to smoke the tires. Does anyone have some advice for me?
Throw a little water down. Place rear tires in. Rev up to around 4000 RPMs. Dump the clutch. Stay on the gas -- but move your left foot over to the brake and lightly apply. Don't over rev as you'll go into wheel hop. Don't over brake as it will cause the rear of the car to slide out.

Rather than smoke the tires -- because it's really hard on your car, just wait for a rainy day, turn off the T/C -- and get a little harmless wheel spin in when leaving stops signs, etc.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Turn your T/C off
Push in the clutch and place the left side of your right foot on the brake and the right side of your right foot on the gas.
Rev it up and let the clutch out.
Keep pressure light pressure on the brake and don't over rev.

I've only done it a couple times cause gas/tires are so expensive and I don't want to tear it up.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
MJGTOWISH said:
I Don't know if this is true but does bleach make a better burnout?
Myth. Some people believe it creates whiter smoke -- as if your tires were some kind of laundry or something. But no difference at all. In fact, street tires don't benefit from burnouts in any way -- as their compounds are designed to resist heat. Drag tires, on the other hand, have compounds that are activated by heat to make them stickier.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Dad's 05 GTO said:
Do I detect a little sarcasm here? :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
kegbelly said:
Do I detect a little sarcasm here? :D

I sure hope so. I don't know how anyone could own an LS6 Chevelle or a GTO and NOT smoke the tires. Why have the power if you aren't going to show it off? My .02 cents.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Bagpiper said:
Hello everyone. I just bought my 06 6 speed and am trying to learn the best way to smoke the tires. Does anyone have some advice for me?
My advice would be to break her in properly. That doesn't mean you have to baby it, but as you break it in you will get the feel for how & when to break 'em loose. After you get a few grand on her, you'll be able to do whatever you please with those rear tires :rofl:

I'm almost at 9k, and still have not "smoked" the tires. I just can't bring myself to do it. I have squealed the tires long and hard, left dual black marks many times, and don't baby it....just not "smoked" tires. There's a couple times I started too...ran through rain puddle in a parking lot...haven't followed through yet.

Gerry

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have been smoking the tires since 1k miles, main reason THEY SUCK. I want to get the factory tires off already, and have a bit of fun. When I get new ones it will be different. For my advice: turn the t/c off, put the tranny in second gear, take it to redline and drop the clutch. Modulate the throttle to keep the revs up. I have laid down 150-200 ft of beautiful, even, stripes. Have fun.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Congrats! Because of you, I think I officially smoked em today. Out in the country, I came to a T, (track off of course), turned left, revved up, and popped the clutch. I stayed on it hard and ended up spinning completely around and heading as if I'd made a right turn ;-) :rofl:

·
Registered
28 Posts
HoldenGTO said:
I sure hope so. I don't know how anyone could own an LS6 Chevelle or a GTO and NOT smoke the tires. Why have the power if you aren't going to show it off? My .02 cents.
Driving an LS6 or a GTO; both being powerful do very well to show themselves off. I have never felt the need to abuse them to show me off. Besides after the smoke clears and the gas is gone all you have left is .02 cents. I wasn't being sarcastic, I jsut don't get why someone buys a brand new car and immediately wants to light up the tires. Just my thoughts....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dad's 05 GTO said:
Driving an LS6 or a GTO; both being powerful do very well to show themselves off. I have never felt the need to abuse them to show me off. Besides after the smoke clears and the gas is gone all you have left is .02 cents. I wasn't being sarcastic, I jsut don't get why someone buys a brand new car and immediately wants to light up the tires. Just my thoughts....
You seem pretty passionate about this and I respect that. There's a lot of reasons why people do it. It's just up to that person to be responsible for the consequences. You either get a ticket, you break something, or you have to buy new tires....

I am not one to personally like doing something like this... but I have done it a couple of times in the GTO.

I think the occasional burn out in the GTO every few months isn't really going to make that much of a difference on the tires anyway. The original tires on these things melt like ice cream anyway.

Some people have had to do immense things to get the GTO. Whether they saved up for it, etc. There may be different reasons why you don't want to do it.

I buy or lease 2 new cars every 3 years and with the GTO I got a killer cheap deal for a 2 year lease. If I decide to keep it after the 2 years I'll be responsible and put tires on it, no biggie.

With all of that said.. I'm not about to come on here and get mad at someone who wants to do it.

Gene.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dad's 05 GTO said:
UM....Because you can. Like the saying goes, Smoke'em if you got'em. Or something like that.

Not to disagree with your reasoning, everybody has an opinion. I was just giving you one opinion as to 'why' someone would want to do that.

:cheers

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.