Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my exhausts off to fix some stuff on them, can't get the things back onto the manifold cleanly. The flange is about an inch away from the thing I'm mounting it to right now. The bolts feel really tight, should I just keep tightening it down? I'm worried about breaking something. Is there some trick to making this work right?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Bolts to long? See how much higher they need to go and take the exhaust down and try the bolts themselves.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Didn't these have studs in them? I've always heard using bolts isn't a good idea as they will seize in the manifold and twist off when you need to remove them again.

Reactions: pontrc and O52

·
Premium Member
1972 Pontiac Lemans GTO
1,139 Posts
Crazy as it seems I checked the factory drawings a majority of them did specify bolts instead of studs

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Makes a lot of sense thanks, any recommendations for studs to get? Don’t reckon my local autozone will have them?

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Didn’t make it out today, but aren’t those to attach the manifold to the engine? I’m looking to attach the pipes to the manifold.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The ones in the link are pipe flanges to manifold. That's a generic kit though that contain 2 different lengths. Looks like you'd have to buy 2 kits. Do you have 2 on each side? If so, maybe you can find another kit or buy 4 individual ones.
Check your other local parts stores too.

·
Premium Member
1972 Pontiac Lemans GTO
1,139 Posts
Thanks for the update,Seems like alot of people do not respond back if it worked or not! A lot of good people here take the time to help

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yep, I used this same kit when I put my new Pypes exhaust system on a few months ago. Works great! Mine had bolts from the factory, and they came out very easily. Guess I got lucky.

·
Registered
1965 Pontiac GTO
282 Posts
Makes a lot of sense thanks, any recommendations for studs to get? Don’t reckon my local autozone will have them?
Probably any decent auto parts store-NAPA, for one, should carry these. 3/8 NC Grade 5 or better, I actually like Murdoch’s, if you have one nearby. You can buy grade 5 or grade 8 bolts by the pound.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts