Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want ur honest oppion.. and i know its not a GTO but hey it pontiac !

i find its a nice step for pontiac since the GTO... because no offense to pontiac but besides the firebirds, and the solstice and the well performed, but bad styling (in my oppion) of the GTO everything else is ****... by the way im talking about modern cars
so what do u y'all think ?

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I like the Solstice photo's but I'd really need to see a 3D version to bless the styling. Interesting direction for GM. Sorta provokes memories of the Chevy Corvair attempt at an affordable roadster. That didn't end well. The advertised horsepower of sthe Solstice as I remember was in the 170-180 range. Now, if I could have some meat with those potatoes. Turbo, blower, V6, something to get ponies into the 250HP range. Now we're talking. A competitor for a Honda S2000? Maybe without the refinement but without the price tag too. And more low end grunt to make it a better real-world car.

At $25K , could be very cool.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Outside of the wheels, I think it's very nicely done. If they had a lace type wheel, similar to most BMWs, it would top the scale. The interior seating, dashboard, gauges are all top notch as is the overall shape of the exterior. To the points above, you know they'll be more HP later....probably the 3800 V :cool -6.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think the looks of it definetly grows on you, but GM has never had the best 4 cylinders. Has anyone seen any performance test results on the car yet? I could tell you that if GM allows an optional V6 and or V8 I would definetly buy one. Either way I think it will be good compotition for the Mazda Miata and BMW Z4. It may zip around just fine with the 4 banger but it would be right mean with GM's 4.2 V6 ( 275hp/275tq) or the new LS3. I've never been a big fan of turbos or chargers so I would be willing to spend an extra 3-7k on a 6 or 8 and having the 4 as a base modle. Just my 2c

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was at the Dallas Auto Show yesterday and they had a Solstice there on one of the rotating stands. Very sexy car; the color was Liquid Silver, which is a deeper, "wetter" looking silver than the QuickSilver on my GTO. The interior is really nicely done too; wish I could have sat in it! The latest news is that they should be at the dealers anywhere from July to September; judging from the number of people crowded around the display and the activity of the Pontiac reps they need to get the cars to the dealers ASAP! Although I have no plans to get rid of my Goat in the next couple of years, I gave my name to one of the reps to get a full brochure package from Pontiac; we'll see if that was a mistake!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
GeeTeeOh said:
I was at the Dallas Auto Show yesterday and they had a Solstice there on one of the rotating stands. Very sexy car; the color was Liquid Silver, which is a deeper, "wetter" looking silver than the QuickSilver on my GTO. The interior is really nicely done too; wish I could have sat in it! The latest news is that they should be at the dealers anywhere from July to September; judging from the number of people crowded around the display and the activity of the Pontiac reps they need to get the cars to the dealers ASAP! Although I have no plans to get rid of my Goat in the next couple of years, I gave my name to one of the reps to get a full brochure package from Pontiac; we'll see if that was a mistake!
I completely agree, I was there Saturday, and I was even slightly impressed with the G6 coupe..... :cheers

·
Registered
558 Posts
Both of the Kappa-platform sports cars (Solstice and Sky) are really good-looking cars. The Solstice has a smooth, Jaguar XKE-ness to it, while the Sky is edgier, not unlike the new little Lotus. Both look like a great value.

To tell the truth, I wanted a Solstice from the time I first heard about it. My dad, the retired GM engineer, waited throughout most of his career for GM to produce a pint-sized, nimble little two-seater, but it just never happened. Dad always thought Vettes and F-bodies were too big.

The only knock I've got against these cars isn't really a "knock" at all: I need a back seat, and I'd have a hard time giving up V8 power. But as Lotus founder Colin Chapman was known to say, if you "add lightness" to a car and get that power-to-weight equation right, you don't necessarily need a V8 to move with alacrity.

·
Registered
314 Posts
GM Kid said:
Both of the Kappa-platform sports cars (Solstice and Sky) are really good-looking cars. The Solstice has a smooth, Jaguar XKE-ness to it, while the Sky is edgier, not unlike the new little Lotus. Both look like a great value.

To tell the truth, I wanted a Solstice from the time I first heard about it. My dad, the retired GM engineer, waited throughout most of his career for GM to produce a pint-sized, nimble little two-seater, but it just never happened. Dad always thought Vettes and F-bodies were too big.

The only knock I've got against these cars isn't really a "knock" at all: I need a back seat, and I'd have a hard time giving up V8 power. But as Lotus founder Colin Chapman was known to say, if you "add lightness" to a car and get that power-to-weight equation right, you don't necessarily need a V8 to move with alacrity.
My lease is up in 1.5 years with the Pulse Red goat, I have seriously thought of trading in the power & torque for the Lotus Elise...

http://www.kbb.com/VehicleJPegs/BRLOELISE053.jpg

Don't quote me but I remember reading the 0-60 is about 4.9 seconds; here is where it hurts though: 190 horses, and 133 lb-ft torque.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Braman'sGTO said:
I think the looks of it definetly grows on you, but GM has never had the best 4 cylinders. Has anyone seen any performance test results on the car yet? I
This 4 cylinder may not be as bad as you think, although time will certainly tell. The engine itself will be a 2.4L version of the Ecotec 4, 177 HP in the Solstice. It will have some of the internal features of the 2.0L supercharged ecotec for longevity, including oil squirters under the pistons. Its also going to have variable valve timing. Its not in any production vehicles yet, and will likely debut in the Solstice. It will also be in upscale Delta platform cars, base G6 sedans, and probably some other vehicles.

As for the Sol's performance. No official tests yet. GM is saying 7.2 seconds to 60. Magazine estimates have been close to that figure too.

Also, there are heavy rumors of a higher output engine that is in the works for the second model year (2007) likely to be a turbocharged engine with between 200 and 250 HP. Some people believe they will just use the 205 HP 2.0L supercharged engine, but it seems the rumors are pointing more towards a turbo engine with more power than that. It will be interesting to see what they can come up with.

Oh, and for a base price of $19,990, even with the base engine, this car is a steal!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like the looks a lot - I just hope it turns out to be a sweet a car to drive as it is to look at. I recently bought a MazdaSpeed Miata (the turbo'd one) for the wife & it's about as much fun as you can have on a curvy road short of my motorcycle. If the Solstice had been available I certainly would have looked at it. Give it a couple of yrs for de-bugging & wait for at least 200hp - then I'll be talking to the dealer :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
DaveGesp said:
I like the styling of the Solstace. It kind of reminds me of the very early Vettes. But can you imagine a Solstace with an LS2? Of course the a4 would have to be an option so I could talk my better half into one. :eek:
Even better, the LS7 from the Z06. Modern-day 427 Cobra.

Never gonna happen though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.